should I upgrade my G5 or get a new computer?

Reaction score
Hello, I have a G5 tower computer running OS X10.3.9 that is starting to slow down and since I'm running Panther I can't use a lot of the newer software including uploading itunes music to my ipod. I was thinking of upgrading to Tiger and upgrading the RAM and HDD but that idea was shot down by the expense/unavailability of the OS. I'm trying to decide if it is relevant to shell out $600 dollars to upgrade or go with a new cheaper comp, like the mac mini or something to that effect. Also, when trading in used Macs at a MacStore, how much credit would I actually get towards a new comp?

specs:

Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 PowerPC 970
512 MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce FX 5200
OS X v.10.3.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Hello, I have a G5 tower computer running OS X10.3.9 that is starting to slow down and since I'm running Panther I can't use a lot of the newer software including uploading itunes music to my ipod. I was thinking of upgrading to Tiger and upgrading the RAM and HDD but that idea was shot down by the expense/unavailability of the OS. I'm trying to decide if it is relevant to shell out $600 dollars to upgrade or go with a new cheaper comp, like the mac mini or something to that effect. Also, when trading in used Macs at a MacStore, how much credit would I actually get towards a new comp?

specs:

512 MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce FX 5200
OS X v.10.3.9
I don't know how much you will get but I have seen numbers on the forums that show that, incredibly, a new Mac Mini will Brutally out preform the fastest G5,the Quad core 2.5GHz model made in its last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

specs:

512 MB DDR SDRAM
GeForce FX 5200
OS X v.10.3.9

When I got my G5 this was what about this mac read:

aboutcomp.jpg

You could totally put Leopard on that machine (as I did with mine 2 days before I killed my logic board) and it would run fine. Up the RAM to a gig and a half. Could keep your HDD for a while unless it's failing. And it would not cost you that much. Leopard would probably run you 100 bucks, but should be dropping in price...

I can't believe you're still running panther. I loved that OS, but Tiger pretty much made it better ever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.