"Not Charging" and no light on MagSafe

Reaction score
I have a Black 13 inch MacBook that I purchased last September. Unfortunately I didn't purchase Apple Care with it.

I charged it last night and it was working perfectly fine. I used it this morning until it reached a charge of 30% and then went to charge it. However, "Not Charging" was displayed on the top of the screen and the orange light did not appear on the charger.

The MagSafe has been knocked over and fell on our wood floors a few times before, so I don't know if that could be the reason. "Not Charging" has appeared once before, but the light was always on and it eventually charged after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Could the DC in board need replacing? I'm unable to go to the Genius Bar until this weekend and just wanted to know if there is anything else I could try in the mean time to see if it'll work?

Many thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. When I plugged the charger in, it did turn orange very quickly and then went blank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Do you have a ohm meter ? If so start your trouble shooting by ruling out your MagSafe.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks,

I don't have one. Is that the same thing as a multimeter? (sorry, I'm technologically challenged) I'll pick one up tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep same thing. Set to DC volts and check for output. If nothing else you can rule out the MagSafe as the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.0 GHZ 10.6.1
In case it persists, try coconut battery(its an application shows you the status of your battery).

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks again! I'll pick one up tonight after work.

I checked Coconut Battery and this is what it says:

Current Battery Charge: 1138 mAH
Maximum Battery Charge: 4817 mAH
It's at 23% right now. :(

Current Battery Capacity: 4817 mAH
Original Battery Capacity: 5020 mAH
It says 95%

Additional Info:
Battery-Loadcycles: 510
Age of Mac: 14 Months

OP
M
Reaction score
I bought a multimeter and the charger read fine. I plugged it in again and it works. Weird...but I'm a happy camper now.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's " fixed" don't understand but glad.

Reaction score
Coconut Battery

I had a similar problem. My daughter was playing in the room I was charging my March 2008 black MacBook on, cord came unplugged light's all went out. Come to find out I had a very dim green light, only saw in the dark. Was set to buy a new power cord and tried coconut battery as a last resort. The minute I opened the program the lights went back to normal and I got a perfect charge.

Link to Coconut Battery: Download coconutBattery for Mac - Displays info about your laptop battery, widget available. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. I had the same problem and after trying a different, known good, battery and power adapter, I tried the above steps, including coconut battery. (I use iStat pro. Gives more info.)No joy. Then I pulled an OEM (genuine Apple) off the pile and tried it. The light turned bright green then turned orange and now it's charging. Strange, yet wonderful.
Thanks again for the suggestions and mostly giving me hope.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.