Factory Unlocked queries

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.0 GHZ 10.6.1
Hey,

i am getting a factory unlocked iPhone 3G S from HongKong(HK)(i am not a HK resident), it is already activated(in store in HK) and working with a Vodafone SIM. I will not be operating it in HK, I wanted to know 3 things:

1)If i restore it, will there be any problem?
2)I need to make an account with iTunes for Apps, should i register the Phone with the HK store, or can my country's store work just as well?
3)If I plug in another sim, will there be any issues?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Hey,

i am getting a factory unlocked iPhone 3G S from HongKong(HK)(i am not a HK resident), it is already activated(in store in HK) and working with a Vodafone SIM. I will not be operating it in HK, I wanted to know 3 things:

1)If i restore it, will there be any problem?
2)I need to make an account with iTunes for Apps, should i register the Phone with the HK store, or can my country's store work just as well?
3)If I plug in another sim, will there be any issues?

Thanks.

1) no the IMEI is registered with Apple so it won't lock upon update.
2) most likely need to register in HK
3) no will work with any sim.

If you don't mind me asking how much are you paying for the iPhone?

OP
Rcynic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.
ermmm.... 2 is a bummer!

The price is the same as on the HK Apple site. 5,388 HKD(16 GB). that is about 700 odd USD. This is from the Apple store. That takes 4-5 days to ship to an address in HK. If you don't want to wait, some stores charge 100 HKD more. Oo.

Like i said, my billing address won't be HK. The apple disclaimer in the iTunes Store requires that i register in the country where i currently reside.

OP
Rcynic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just answering this question for future references, no issues for restoring or activating. My app store confirmation email hasn't come yet, so don't know about the app store, but doesn't look like I need to use the hong kong store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.