Two Airport Expresses - one has a faster internet connection

Reaction score
I have two 802.11n Airport Expresses. One Airport Express is connected to my Comcast cable modem, and its wireless mode is set to "Create a wireless network." (Also, the box next to "Allow this network to be extended" is checked.) The second Airport Express is located in another part of my home, and its wireless mode is set to "Extend a wireless network."

All things considered, my wireless network is working very well. No matter where I am in my home with my MacBook, the signal strength is excellent so long as I am connected to the Airport Express with the stronger signal. I have the AirTrafficControl widget (Spintriplet | AirTrafficControl) installed on my MacBook, so I can tell which of the two Airport Expresses I am connected to at any given time.

Here's where I need some help: I just upgraded my Comcast internet service to 16 Mbps. When my MacBook is connected to the primary Airport Express (that is, the Airport Express connected to the Comcast modem), I get download speeds of 15-16 Mbps and upload speeds of 8-9 Mbps (according to http://www.speedtest.net/). However, when my MacBook is connected to the secondary Airport Express (that is, the Airport express set to extend the range of my network), I get download speeds of only 1-3 Mbps and upload speeds of only 2-4 Mbps. Why is my internet speed so slow when connected to the second Airport Express? Is there something I can do to increase the speed? Thanks for your help.

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
The most common problem is that airport does a temporary check of the internet speed in the beginning, once one of the airports has been off or had a malfunction of any kind, its possible setting are altered,
my advise is you reset the secondary airport. Most of the times this will work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.