Upgrade OS Question

S

Steel02001

For those of you who have been mac users much longer than I, I have a question.

Typically switching OS's is tricky, finicky and an all out pain in anyones ***. On top of this there are usually bugs and what not. And of course all of this I experienced in the windows world. Will I experience all the same problems upgrading to tiger?

The reason for such concern, I take my new powerbook with me to deploy this summer (military) and I want to make sure I dont end up taking along something that is constantly a pain in my ***. Should I upgrade before I go or wait?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
I would assume upgrading to tiger wouldn't be much of a problem. But I am not sure. I have a PB G4 and may upgrade as well. But my question is are you really going to take your PB with you to (I'm assuming Iraq)? Be careful.

OP
J

Jefe3223

I've never upgraded my computer straight up (I've always bought one at the beginning of an OS life and then a new computer all together at the time of a new OS release [what can i say, my dad likes to buy new things]), however, I'm planning on getting it in the near future for my current machine. I know people who have and they never have any major problems. As with any new OS, there are some things that always will come up, when it's been nationally released, but I'm pretty confedant with this one (i know that doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to through in my opinion).

Reaction score
Steel02001 said:
The reason for such concern, I take my new powerbook with me to deploy this summer (military) and I want to make sure I dont end up taking along something that is constantly a pain in my ***. Should I upgrade before I go or wait?

First off, what is it you want to do on your system that you can't do now?

If the answer is nothing, then why be in a big hurry to change things. If your system does everything you want and runs stable, i would wait a while till after the first or second updates come out for Tiger. It will be much easier to do the updates here than out in the middle of "somewhere" and by then a few of the "quirks" that are always left in a new OS will have been ironed out.

I don't really anticipate any real problems with Tiger, but there are always things to work out once an OS hits the real world.

Now, if your one of those who has to be on the "bleeding edge" then go for it. If it wipes out your system i am sure someone else in the unit will let you borrow their system long enough to send an email...(G)

OP
S

Steel02001

James said:
First off, what is it you want to do on your system that you can't do now?

If the answer is nothing, then why be in a big hurry to change things. If your system does everything you want and runs stable, i would wait a while till after the first or second updates come out for Tiger. It will be much easier to do the updates here than out in the middle of "somewhere" and by then a few of the "quirks" that are always left in a new OS will have been ironed out.

I don't really anticipate any real problems with Tiger, but there are always things to work out once an OS hits the real world.

Now, if your one of those who has to be on the "bleeding edge" then go for it. If it wipes out your system i am sure someone else in the unit will let you borrow their system long enough to send an email...(G)

Thats a very good point and I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks for the input. I am leaning torwards waiting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.