How to "map" a drive to Windows Vista PC?

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything here with instructions on mapping a drive on my new Mac to my Windows Vista PC. Googling lead me to several places instructing me to use the Finder, Go, Connect to server, Browse Network - which I did and added (+) this share from Vista PC - smb://officepc/users/jack.

Now when I click on the Connect button, it seems to connect right away - but never asks for Windows Workgroup, User ID or Password. So what opens up is a blank folder.

Its as if I'm connected but can't see files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Have you tried connecting to /users then navigating to jack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What are the security controls that you have in place on the Vista PC for that folder ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
H
Reaction score
What are the security controls that you have in place on the Vista PC for that folder ?

Cheers ... McBie

Same as when I connected with older Windows XP laptop. No firewall. Can I tell you anything more?

Somehow I would have thought (and have read on the net) that the connecting process on the Mac should have asked for User ID and Password.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If connecting to the SMB share from the Mac didn't ask for your password, it's because the Mac thinks it already has the right information in the Keychain..

Been playing with this quite a bit with my NAS recently since I wanted to SMB mount a couple of different shares with different user/pw combo, but after mounting the first share using my user/pw, any attempts to mount other shares would use the same user/pw combo whether it's correct or not.

To mount multiple shares with multiple credentials, you have to use the command line.

So I'd suggest going into Utilities->Keychain Access and seeing if you already see a user/pw combo saved for the machine you are trying to access, if so, delete it and it should prompt you for it and you have a checkbox there to save it in the keychain or not..

Regards

OP
H
Reaction score
Done but no such item in Keychain list. My NAS is there and works fine but nothing for the Vista PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
On the vista machine, did you share out the folders you're looking to get to? By default Windows will only share out an admin share, which would not help you in this case.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes the are all shared. I can click/open them on the mac but dont see any files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.