8gb ram

Reaction score
So i just ordered the 8gb ram upgrade kit from OWC... man am i stoked.... out of curiosity, does ne1 else have this kit installed and if so, how noticeable where the gains?!?!

i'm pumped!!!!!!!!

p.s. this is going on my brand new mbp 13 unibody 2.53

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why do you even need 8GB of RAM on a notebook in the first place?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...I would have the same question as "CrimsonRequiem" mentioned...what do you need 8gig of ram for? Other than $500 dollars less in your wallet.

If you have genuine need...great! Otherwise it's really not going to improve anything that 4 gig of ram wouldn't do just as well...or maybe even 2 gig depending on your needs.

- Nick

Reaction score
It sucks when people think that the key to improving speed is more RAM. In 95% of cases 4gigs is to much. If you're running a program that requires 8Gigs of ram your CPU prob won't keep up with the demands. As in a program that uses 8Gigs prob needs a much stronger cpu then what you have.

OP
C
Reaction score
did i mention i'm running testing of quantum physics measuring the amount of solar energy absorbed by the elastic nanomolecular density of a specific blackbody source within the infrared range of the electromagnetic spectrum.....

lol not really it just sounded cool. but atleast i'm happy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol not really it just sounded cool. but atleast i'm happy

Hey being happy is ok...and if you can afford the ram...no problem!!:)

We just didn't want you to think that your computer was going to run so much better or faster just because it had 8 gig of ram.

Enjoy it,:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey being happy is ok...and if you can afford the ram...no problem!!:)

We just didn't want you to think that your computer was going to run so much better or faster just because it had 8 gig of ram.

Enjoy it,:)

- Nick

understood. i was just messin around.. lol, but i am thinkin i'll get a lil bit more performance... i'm just the type of person that likes to have it all (kinda a disease if u ask me) lol

but on the flip side... are there any hardware upgrades that yall would actually recommend? i would love to have a blue-ray burner rather than just the standard dvd burner that came with it.... another addition i'm looking into is a 7200 rpm hard drive... any advice?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
understood. i was just messin around.. lol, but i am thinkin i'll get a lil bit more performance... i'm just the type of person that likes to have it all (kinda a disease if u ask me) lol

but on the flip side... are there any hardware upgrades that yall would actually recommend? i would love to have a blue-ray burner rather than just the standard dvd burner that came with it.... another addition i'm looking into is a 7200 rpm hard drive... any advice?

With Macintosh laptops (and many non-Mac laptops), you're pretty much limited to ram & hard drive upgrades. As far as I know, there are no Blue-Ray upgrades currently available....if we're lucky, maybe sometime in the future.

Since your laptop is maxed out on ram...the hard drive is the only thing left.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
you better off buying 4gb of ram, internal blue-ray burner, and a external case, $500 well spent or just buy 4gb and some hookers.. or, or just buy the ram and keep the rest in your wallet..

Reaction score
Kinda on-topic with this, I was wondering what kind of boost in performance I would get if I upgraded my 2 gig mbp to 4 gigs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Kinda on-topic with this, I was wondering what kind of boost in performance I would get if I upgraded my 2 gig mbp to 4 gigs?

You'll notice a small difference if you keep several applications running at the same time. For the money, it's not a bad deal. 4gb is cheap. I don't see 8gb running any better than 4gb though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
Some rendering engines I use for 3d modeling benefit from high RAM. Though, it's cheaper to buy a PC desktop and upgrade it to 8gigs of ram and use it as a render farm.

My $350 Acer x1200 renders way faster than all my friends MBP's with bootcamp or parallels

Reaction score
For everyone asking why you would ever need 8gb of RAM, if you make music on your mac, you would know.

There are many applications that require tons of RAM, from my personal experience, I can talk about music. These days you can plug your guitar into your mac via an interface and pull up an amp emulator and effects pedals as software and record some pretty crazy and unique sounds, without the need to spend thousands on expensive amps and pedals.. you can use a USB keyboard and make it sound like a $400,000 Yamaha Grand piano in a huge hall. You can make your electric drum set sound like Ringo Starr's Ludwig set from 1965...

but all of these software plugins load directly into your RAM! So the more software plugins/emulators of these kinds that you use, the more RAM you need.

I currently use a 13" MBP with 2gb of ram, and I'm NOT upgrading to 4gb, instead I am waiting til the price of 8gb goes down so I can do that. Because I NEED 8gb of memory to make my songs sound better.

Like I said, there are other applications heavily dependent on memory, such as Final Cut Studio, etc. but my personal experience is with music making, specifically Logic Studio 8.

I could have gotten a Mac Pro with 16gb of RAM, but I couldn't afford that and I needed something really portable that I could just plug my guitar and small 49 key keyboard into and make quality music on the go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
That money would have been MUCH better spent upgrading to a really decent SSD. The performance difference would have been very noticeable, where you will likely see no difference at all with 8 gigs of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
For everyone asking why you would ever need 8gb of RAM, if you make music on your mac, you would know.

There are many applications that require tons of RAM, from my personal experience, I can talk about music. These days you can plug your guitar into your mac via an interface and pull up an amp emulator and effects pedals as software and record some pretty crazy and unique sounds, without the need to spend thousands on expensive amps and pedals.. you can use a USB keyboard and make it sound like a $400,000 Yamaha Grand piano in a huge hall. You can make your electric drum set sound like Ringo Starr's Ludwig set from 1965...

but all of these software plugins load directly into your RAM! So the more software plugins/emulators of these kinds that you use, the more RAM you need.

I currently use a 13" MBP with 2gb of ram, and I'm NOT upgrading to 4gb, instead I am waiting til the price of 8gb goes down so I can do that. Because I NEED 8gb of memory to make my songs sound better.

Like I said, there are other applications heavily dependent on memory, such as Final Cut Studio, etc. but my personal experience is with music making, specifically Logic Studio 8.

I could have gotten a Mac Pro with 16gb of RAM, but I couldn't afford that and I needed something really portable that I could just plug my guitar and small 49 key keyboard into and make quality music on the go.

If you have to run that many filters to make your songs "sound better," chances are your songs aren't that good. Musician with a degree in music to musician. Take it how you will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
If you have to run that many filters to make your songs "sound better," chances are your songs aren't that good. Musician with a degree in music to musician. Take it how you will.

i was thinking he's/she's going about it the long hard route..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
I'm somewhat new to macs but I thought the maximum amount ram you can install into an MBP was 4GB?

Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to macs but I thought the maximum amount ram you can install into an MBP was 4GB?

MBP's support up to 8GB of RAM using both slots, so each slot would only support up to a 4GB.
as far as I know macbook's support only 2x2GB.

Reaction score

I'm not talking about filters, or even making the song better, I'm talking about instrumental plugins such as:

Amplitube_1.png

or

philharmonik_bg.jpg

I'm talking about virtual instruments here. If I want the sound of a baby grand piano, I can either purchase a baby grand piano, a good sounding room, and a high quality mic, or I can load a virtual one into RAM and get going.

I'm not talking about filters such as compressors, limiters, tuners, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
I'm talking about virtual instruments here. If I want the sound of a baby grand piano, I can either purchase a baby grand piano, a good sounding room, and a high quality mic, or I can load a virtual one into RAM and get going.

I'm not talking about filters such as compressors, limiters, tuners, etc.

BRO THAT IS SICK! What do I need to get those programs specifically the guitar one. I don't wanna spend money on an expensive amp and expensive pedals. I just want to jam out into my laptop with headphones. And especially if I can get that stuff to get cool sound effects and such! And what do you use to plug in your guitar into the computer? Like what is all the stuff I need to do what your doing aka to get the guitar on the mac with those cool settings.

not to hijack the thread or anything, but I went from 2gb on my 13 MBP and went to 4gb. It is more than I need now. I used to almost use up all of my 2gb when I did PS CS4 and now I have a good amount of space and it zips through everything now. 8gb is crazy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.