• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I save video camera clips on a dvd?

Reaction score
How do I save video camera clips from a dvd

How do I save a dvd (with video from a video camera) to edit with imovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Are you asking about video from a video camera that records to DVD media?

Things to post; Camera manufacturer and model, codec recorded to the DVD if known, version of iMovie, version of OS X.

OP
J
Reaction score
more details, maybe this will help

A friend took videos of an event of mine with his video camera. He then put the clips on a dvd and gave it to me. It was recorded on with a Sony video camera and imported on to a pc with vega's then burned with DVD Complete. He was not sure what format he put it in but maybe something like video_TS.BUP. When I open it up from my desktop it has a audio TS and Video TS folder. When I try to open one of the video folders it goes to iphoto and says unrecognizable format. So does he need to save it to different format and what format would that be. I want to put those clips on my mac to edit to make a movie. I have the newest macbook with the newest imovie. Thanks for all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I just looked at the specs for Vegas Pro and it says it can save to QuickTime files. So I'd say, have him save as a QuickTime file using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) with PCM audio, or as H.264 with ACC audio. If done right, either will be better than you ripping from a playable DVD.

You could try using MPEG Streamclip on the Video TS folder to convert the content to something friendly to iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Try opening imovie and directly importing them. Iphoto may still open but just ignore it. I say this because when I use my flip video it always opens Iphoto and I have to open Imovie and import from the files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.