How irritating..

Reaction score
I just got an email reply back from someone I emailed on Craigslist about an iMac G5. They say their roommate unplugged the iMac during like a maintenance thing, and when they go to turn it on, it flashes a folder icon. Well the idiot in his reply says that he wiped the harddrive, and can't find the OS disc. Uh, hello? No wonder it doesn't work! I don't think I'll spend $225 on this..I'm moving on. :Shouting:

This is what his posting says:

"...The computer was my baby till one day my roommate unplugged it during a maintainance and from then on when you turned it on it would just display a blinking folder icon with a question mark . I have bought several supposed " Restore Disks" spending over $100 and have had no luck . I have to decided to sell this one and move on. It will only be the computer with all parts just as it came I have not removed any hardware internally. It will not include mouse or keyboard. Physical condition of item is excellent other than some minor cosmetic scratches.

There is No Software, cables, manuals, or accessories. Just the Computer any usb mouse or keyboard will work

Item specifics

Processor Type: Intel Core Duo
Product Family: iMac
Processor Speed (per Core): 1.8 GHz
Screen Size: 17 inches
Processor Configuration: Dual Core
Operating System: Not Included
Memory (RAM): 1.00GB
Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW
Hard Drive Capacity: 160 GB

Out of minutes email are checked eery hour
Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If they don't even have the original OSX DVD's that came with that iMac G5 I would move on. Besides no way to reinstall the original OS, you loose out on the Apple Hardware Test that can be quite handy also.

OP
C
Reaction score
If they don't even have the original OSX DVD's that came with that iMac G5 I would move on. Besides no way to reinstall the original OS, you loose out on the Apple Hardware Test that can be quite handy also.

I kind of figured that one out. There is no way they're going to sell that successfully..unless the buyer buys a new HDD and loads Mac OS X on it (I think that's the problem with the computer.) Anyways..I'm not spending $225 on it and then another..gosh..I don't know, say $100 or so on a Leopard disc, or Snow Leopard (since it is an Intel Mac). :Shouting:

But I would however like to take out my desktop PC and its monitor (which doubles as a TV) and put an iMac in its place, then move the TV onto a wall mounted shelf. Gotta keep looking though. I did find more G5 iMac's (seller has THREE all of them in running condish, for about $400 or so) near me, about an hours drive from where I live vs. where this idiot lives (which is like only 20 minutes or less). My Dad did say he has something for me for Christmas and told me to quit looking for another Mac..dead giveaway :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'm kinda curious how it's being called a G5 - a G5 processor is a PPC processor, according to what you posted, it's an intel core duo - does the person even really know what they have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP

A person couldn't buy an OSX license to install on that computer?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A person couldn't buy an OSX license to install on that computer?
They could but they can be expensive and since they come with the computer (and are model-specific), there is absolutely no need to not include it with a sale. It also helps to ensure that the software installed is legit.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious how it's being called a G5 - a G5 processor is a PPC processor, according to what you posted, it's an intel core duo - does the person even really know what they have?

You know I don't think they do. They sound kind of..computer illiterate to me, especially the way they worded the posting on Craigslist. Although, (I'm sure I've already asked this one), isn't it possible to put in a new HDD and reinstall a brand new copy (from the store) of Mac OS X on the machine? The posting for Craigslist is iMac G5, then they list the intel processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My Dad did say he has something for me for Christmas and told me to quit looking for another Mac..dead giveaway :)

Well you would be pretty happy with that little hint. Just hope dad buys you the right Mac you want.

Looks dodgy this guy trying to sell the G5..... Craigslist Yuck

OP
C
Reaction score
Well you would be pretty happy with that little hint. Just hope dad buys you the right Mac you want.

Looks dodgy this guy trying to sell the G5..... Craigslist Yuck

Well I know him well (duh); and he doesn't have the money for a brand-spanking new iMac (I wish though..Snow Leopard is soooo goooood), but probably has a friend at work who is looking to sell an iMac. I just hope it doesn't have the PPC in it..there could be a day where I do want to run Windows for something, you know? (That day could be very rare and/or nonexistent)

As for the idiot on Craigslist, I emailed him (sounds actually more like a her) tonight and said I wasn't interested anymore. I'll have to see what's been added for today. I like Craigslist b/c some people are honest. Better than eBay to a certain extent.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, today they reposted:

Selling my iMac G5 nothing is wrong with it besides the HD was wiped and now needs to be re-formatted. A folder with a question mark is what is displayed when you turn it on. I am selling only the computer. You will need to use your own mouse and keyboard.
Here are the specs:
Processor Type: Intel Core Duo
Product Family: iMac
Processor Speed (per Core): 1.8 GHz
Screen Size: 17 inches
Processor Configuration: Dual Core
Operating System: Not Included
Memory (RAM): 1.00GB
Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW
Hard Drive Capacity: 160 GB

Again, they screwed up the computer. How you would fix this is just reinstalling Mac OS X, right? They note reformatting the HDD, which, again, how do you do that? I wish some people would research before they give up a computer like this. Especially since they list it as an Intel Mac, which is not a G5. I'm tempted to buy it. Any naysayers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
You need to format the HD as the correct format for installing OS X on (HFS+) and then install OS X.

Don't buy it.

Reaction score
It may be Hot. Like from out of a school or business. Thats why they wiped it. But you cant get rid of the serial number.They would have to prove they own the machine.

I like your silver apple.:)

OP
C
Reaction score
It may be Hot. Like from out of a school or business. Thats why they wiped it. But you cant get rid of the serial number.They would have to prove they own the machine.

I like your silver apple.:)

Well if it were hot, all they really needed to do was reinstall Mac OS X and click "Clean Install", provided they're THAT smart (some people will go stupid when it comes to crimes, such as electronic theft). Doesn't "Clean Install" wipe everything and put a fresh Mac OS X on the HDD?

And yes, I like my silver Apple as well. I saw it and thought, "wow. It looks like real freakin' glass! It also looks crystal-ly" LOL ;D

Hey..it's an Apple..not a Window. Heehee ;)

Reaction score
Well if it were hot, all they really needed to do was reinstall Mac OS X and click "Clean Install", provided they're THAT smart (some people will go stupid when it comes to crimes, such as electronic theft). Doesn't "Clean Install" wipe everything and put a fresh Mac OS X on the HDD?

And yes, I like my silver Apple as well. I saw it and thought, "wow. It looks like real freakin' glass! It also looks crystal-ly" LOL ;D

Hey..it's an Apple..not a Window. Heehee ;)

They dont have any disc and the serial number is in the bios and if its on a list somewhere and you log in somewhere the jig is up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.