iTunes Server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong area in the forum...

Anyway, recently I cracked the screen on my black macbook, it still works as a desktop hooked up to a 22in display and I use it as a media center of sorts. Giving it music playing duties among other things while i use my new macbook pro for my main projects.

What I want to know is if i can network the two computers so i can control itunes on the macbook from my macbook pro.

Keep in my mind that I'm 15 years old, and although I payed for everything by myself (i have a job) I'm also trying to save for a new display + stuff. So I'd really rather not pay for more hardware.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance

-quinn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Not hard really. I'll assume you have wireless internet, yes? And that you have iTunes 9 (if not download it). Turn on Home Sharing and authorize both machines with your iTunes account. In this way you can efficiently share music without actually streaming on the internet. Does this make sense, or do you need it broken down (I'm 13 and when I talk about this with other kids they're like "What?".

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB
I'm following... =)
When you say "home Sharing" I take it that you're talking about the shared libraries function within iTunes. Am I right? Sorry if i wasn't clear but i want to play the music through the older macbook, I just want to control it with my macbook pro. I just checked on iTunes preferences, and there is no obvious function to control another computers library.

Sorry, I'm confusing myself, do you get what I'm saying? It's ok if you don't have an answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I do understand what you're saying. You can "share" a computer's library, but it's the computer you're accessing it from that is doing the playing. The only obvious way is to stream the music from your MacBook to your MacBook Pro with something like Nicecast.

Rogue Amoeba | Nicecast: Broadcast any audio on Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
iPod Nano is right on it. To be able to share an iTunes library, you must have iTunes open on (let's call it...) comp 1 in order for iTunes on comp 2 to "see" that library. In iTunes 9, you can view that library (or whatever playlists have been selected to be seen), play, pause etc, and drag and drop songs from comp 1 to comp 2 (as long as comp 2 is authorized on comp 1s iTunes account). That's pretty much what sharing on iTunes is.

To me, Nicecast seems like it would help you out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.