PowerBook G4 random glitch

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm very new to these forum malarkies so take it easy on me!

I recently bought a PowerBook G4 off a friend of mine second hand, top condition and really good spec, however, I think I may have a problem.

It is the 15" aluminium 1.67 powerPC and I noticed it gets quite warm when sat upon your knee. My laptop has started to randomly go blank but freeze. the power stays on and I either have to take out the battery and leave it for a while or just wait for the battery to die out.

I would normally try the hardware test, but unfortunately, I don't have the install disk and I cannot find anywhere where I might be able to download one.

I think I might have moved some solder or something, but i'm unsure.

ANY help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which OS are you running on the PowerBook G4? You really need to get hold of an install disk. Try eBay or even a local seller - buyer market like Craig's list. Downloading a copy of OS X would be illegal.

With an install disk you can do some trouble shooting and if necessary, reinstall OS X. Without one, it's very difficult to do any kind of testing of the machine.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Hi,

I have had PB's of the aluminum type up to 1.42GHz they would get very warm on the underside not as hot at my MBP but still hot..

The last one I had i think it was having a similar issue as you may be seeing
with out knowing for sure but the video chips if they over heat have a
tendency to separate from the logicboard. causing lines across the screen
or just instant freeze ups..

try the normal stuff .. boot up holding the command (apple) and the s key
disk check fsck -fy

re-setting via openfirmware holding the o, f, opt and command
type
reset-nvram
reset-all

hold down the alt shift and option key (when off) and press the pwr button

check the memory .. just normal items .. if all else fails try a chill mat and
see if you can reduce the temp and if that makes it stable .. you may be
looking at a logic board or something else that only a mac shop can help
with..

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.