desperately seeking 3.5" magneto optical disk drive

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Mac Forums. I have some old back ups from the late 90s on 128 meg magneto optical disks. I now NEED to retrieve the data but cannot find a device. Any suggestions would be hugely welcomed!!!

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I'm new to Mac Forums. I have some old back ups from the late 90s on 128 meg magneto optical disks. I now NEED to retrieve the data but cannot find a device. Any suggestions would be hugely welcomed!!!

Thanks in advance.

Wow...I thought I was the only person who might still have use for one of these!;) I have a bunch of stuff backed up on those MO disks from the "90's"...and kept the drive just for the very purpose you're looking for (to be able to read them).

Here's an idea for you:

Pinnacle REO-130 MO Magneto Optical 130MB RW Disk Drive - eBay (item 150373618977 end time Oct-16-09 19:37:10 PDT)

Some watch-outs:

- there's always the possibility it won't be compatible with a Mac
- it doesn't come with any drivers, so those might be tough to find
- you probably need some SCSI cables (it doesn't come with any)
- you may need to run it off an older Mac for either hardware or software (OS or drivers) compatibility.

Hope this helps, good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

I had an Olympus with 2 disc. Sorry to say I took it back to the thrift store earlier this year. I got it at the thrift store like for$4.00 someone gave me the disc's. I replaced it with a HP Shurestore Optical 2600fx has 2.6 gig disc. It came from the thrift store.I use a Silverlinings Pro driver.

Reaction score
Seeking driver for magneto-optical disks

Hi, I saw this post and thought I would see if anybody knows where I can get an appropriate driver for one of these machines. I actually have two of these old APS magneto-optical drives from the 1990s. I have a lot of old data that I would like to retrieve, and I have an appropriate Mac OS 9.2 laptop with SCSI connector, etc. However, I am unable to find a driver.

Postings on Apple forums suggest that LaCie, who bought out APS, no longer offers any support.

Does anyone have a driver? I'd be willing to send you one of my two machines if I could get the other one working!

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.