Question: Which type I should buy

Reaction score
Hi guys. well I decided to buy a macbook but I don't know yet which one I want to buy, so I came her for help and I hope u can help me out.

now, the important thing is I need to use an video editor, for example.. Sony Vegas and iMovie. thats the only and important thing i need it. So which one I can use these programs on it simply. also can you tell me the differences between each one of them. thnx.

P.S. This will be my first macook

Sorry for my english

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The more video work you do, the more graphics power you'll need. A regular Macbook or a Macbook Pro without a dedicated graphics card would work for general video editing, but you'll probably want the Macbook Pro 15", not the base model, the one with dedicated graphics.

Here is a chart that lists all the differences between all the Macbooks.

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart

By the way, there is no Sony Vegas for Mac. You'd need Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio. You could run Windows on your Mac in order to use Sony Vegas, but in that case you might as well just get a Windows PC. However, I can say that Final Cut Pro is an amazing editing program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Or the refurb 15 inch mac preo from last gen... 1299 for 2.4 ghz with both integrated and discrete cards (you choose which you wanna use when).

OP
M
Reaction score
The more video work you do, the more graphics power you'll need. A regular Macbook or a Macbook Pro without a dedicated graphics card would work for general video editing, but you'll probably want the Macbook Pro 15", not the base model, the one with dedicated graphics.

Here is a chart that lists all the differences between all the Macbooks.

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart

By the way, there is no Sony Vegas for Mac. You'd need Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio. You could run Windows on your Mac in order to use Sony Vegas, but in that case you might as well just get a Windows PC. However, I can say that Final Cut Pro is an amazing editing program.

I think I'm going to buy the macbook pro 15. but what the difference between as you said, the base model and the dedicated graphics, I mean how can I know which one is the base one and which one is the dedicated graphics, can I know which one is it by the outside look.

and can if I bought a macbook, can I put a graphic card the same one that in the macbook pro 15 and it will works perfect?

thnx alot for your help, I realy appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you look at the comparison chart, you'll see that it says, under the Macbook Pro 15" specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 256MB or 512MB GDDR3 memory (select models)

The GDDR3 is what you want. If you notice, the 13" Macbook Pro and the white Macbook only have an NVIDIA processor and no GDDR3. It's up to you how much you want, 256MB or 512MB but I would get as much as I can afford.

You can't tell just by looking at the computer, but they'll probably ask you at the Apple Store if you want the dedicated graphics, since it's an upsell for them, along with other kinds of questions. They're going to try to find out which one to get you, they're not going to just randomly give you the nearest one. They'll ask you what you plan to do with it, they're really good about trying to get you what you need. Just be sure to mention that you plan on doing a lot of video work and that you need a dedicated graphics card.

It's not something you can buy and upgrade yourself, at least I wouldn't try it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Now I completely understood.

thank you very much Oneironaut for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anytime... let us know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.