I cannot properly install gcc and gfortran

Reaction score
Hello,
I just brought this Mac two weeks ago. I do not know if the operative system is Leopart or Snow-Leopard (how to know?).
As developer, I need to use gcc and gfortran. Following some google advices, I proceeded to install Xcode, with a supposed success: gcc was not found. Then, I installed SDX but the same happened. Then, I decided to download gcc4.3, but I only found an experimental gcc4.5 in sourceforce.net, gcc was installed apparently with success, but when I try to compile a simple example this was reported:
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory

After that, I sent Xcode to trash and installed SDX again, I searched for the included gcc4.2 version and installed it. Then I tested gcc and gfortran resulting in:
for the c version (one line program, which prints "hi"):

urcunina:Downloads gustavocordoba$ gcc tmp.c
tmp.c:2:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

By droping the include command (which of course is a programing mistake), the compilation reports:

urcunina:Downloads gustavocordoba$ gcc tmp.c
tmp.c: In function ‘main’:
tmp.c:3:2: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘printf’
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory

By compiling the fortran version of the same program it results in:

urcunina:Downloads gustavocordoba$ gfortran tmp.f
gfortran: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory

By doing some google search, the people only advice to reinstall Xcode, which I already did several times.

This problem is driven me crazy, as my research have become blocked by this problem.

Please, can any one help me?
With best regards,
Gustavo

OP
G
Reaction score
it is ok now

I installed Xcode again (just Xcode) and now it seems to work properly.
Thanks,
Gustavo

Reaction score
Hi Gustavo,

From reading your posts above it seems you are more knowledgeable with Macs and compilers than I. I have a small problem that I am unsure how to resolve on my own.

I use the NetBeans IDE which is currently working well with the GNU C/C++ compilers bundled with XCode. I have downloaded and installed the GFortran compiler using the idiot-proof package available from: gfortran for Leopard | MacResearch. NetBeans can utilise the same functionality provided by a fortran compiler but because GCC is currently in /usr/bin and GFortran installs to /usr/local/bin I cannot get them to work together because they are in different base directories.

Are you aware of a method for merging the GFortran installation made by this package with the existing GCC compiler located in /usr/bin?

Cheers,
Phil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Hello,
I just brought this Mac two weeks ago. I do not know if the operative system is Leopart or Snow-Leopard (how to know?).

On any Mac OS system, click on the Apple icon on the upper left of the menu bar and choose `About This Mac'.

Glad to see you got it working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.