Printer won't print...except for test pages

Reaction score
I have a G5 PowerMac and a Canon iP5000 printer. Not too long ago my printer quit working... sort of. I can open the printer utility and print out test pages, but that's it. No other documents (text, word, excel, Open Office, pdf, etc.) will print. So far I've tried checking all the cables and connects; resetting the printer preferences; downloading the latest drivers; deleting the printer in system preferences, restarting, and re-installing the printer; and creating a different user (and trying to print from that account). Nothing has been successfull, when I open the printer control window the job is listed as 'Stopped'. When I hit 'Resume' I get an error message "Operation Could not be completed. client-error-not-possible", (verbatim). The problem seemed to occur sometime after upgrading from 10.4 to 10.5, but I'm not sure if the two are related. Anyone have any advice?

OP
D
Reaction score
Couldn't figure out how to perorm the Linux command stuff. I opened up Terminal and typed the 'stop' command, but it said there was not such service.

The second option had no results either.

However, through the help of the Apple Care agents, we discovered that the printer driver provided by Canon does not work. For anyone else having this problem you can install the latest Gutenprint driver for OS X users and print using the appropriate Gutenprint driver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Couldn't figure out how to perorm the Linux command stuff. I opened up Terminal and typed the 'stop' command, but it said there was not such service.

The second option had no results either.

However, through the help of the Apple Care agents, we discovered that the printer driver provided by Canon does not work. For anyone else having this problem you can install the latest Gutenprint driver for OS X users and print using the appropriate Gutenprint driver.

Well, if you have Apple Care, milk it while you have it! ;D I've had alot of luck with Gutenprint drivers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.