MacBook Pro Screen Problem, Insight Needed.

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been having a very troubling problem that began about 1 week ago. My MacBook Pro (2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, bought July 2007) has been experiencing issues where the power button is pushed and it appears to turn on, but the screen remains black (not even the backlight comes on). However, I suspected the actual operating system was running nominally, as I could get iTunes to play music just fine (using key commands). After this problem arose, I brought to an Apple Store where they quickly turned me away due to the physical state of my laptop (there are many dents and scratches). The genius who helped immediately told me the problem was from physical abuse to the computer, but didn't offer any insight as to what was actually wrong with it. That night, I called Apple Care and spoke with a representative. The woman said it may be a software issue and had me run some diagnostic tests using the keyboard, but to no avail. The next day, I brought the computer to an Apple Authorized Retailer, where they disassembled it. After, they told me they suspected that the LCD was cracked internally. After hearing the repair price, I was prompted to buy a new iMac, which I am using now. When I connected the two computers with Firewire to transfer data and booted my laptop in target mode, low and behold the screen worked and the Firewire symbol appeared. Upon restarting the computer, the screen once again failed to work. I have made many attempts at restarting it after this, but still no luck.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks!

(PS: Thanks for reading all that, if you did.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.