Anatomy of a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Can anyone recommend a website or book that can really help you learn your Mac inside and out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Some stuff here and here but not sure if that is what u are looking for.

OP
DanFlan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am basically looking for a source that goes into a fair degree of depth of all the general features of the Mac. (Hardware, Software, Applications..etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
This is actually a pretty difficult question to answer.

Depending upon your current level of experience and 'how' you want to approach the platform, different texts are going to be more relevant to you than others. Similarly, different people have different needs/wants from the Mac so naturally, the frame of reference that people approach a new topic/subject is going to vary. Software developers will of course see the platform differently than musicians; graphics designers will see it differently than engineers.

David Pogue's Missing Manual series is quite popular on a general level. I would probably recommend starting here first.

The other recommendation I would make is checking out the Peachpit Press Apple Training Series. While these are primarily support type manuals geared towards people seeking Apple certifications, they can be invaluable in teaching the platform in general since they are geared towards professionals wanting to support the platform.

If your interested in the nuts and bolts, low (and I mean very low) level details and you have a fair amount of software/hardware development in your background you may want to look at Amit Singh's book Mac OSX Internals: A Systems Approach. However, be forwarned, this book is not a beginning or even intermediate text. This is an advanced work and is largely targeted towards computer science students or experienced software developers. Having said that, the first chapter on the history of Apple and it's software is very entertaining. Rather than buy the book, you can download a PDF copy of the first chapter.

Hope this helps.

OP
DanFlan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the recommendations and help. I am a high school student, that should be enough said for the level of experience I have. I have had my Mac for just over a year but have never really taken the time for an in depth view of all it's functionalities and systems. I am obviously on no level a computer programmer or software designer so I am going to steer away from the more advanced text. Any other suggestions are welcomed but I think for now I have a good basis for where to start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.