Dual Booting Macbook with Windows 7

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm looking for opinions on this before I go ahead and do it.
Firstly, has anyone dual booted there mac with windows?
Secondly, how did they find the process? Have you had any problems since?
Finally, what would you guys recommend? I'm going to get Windows 7, my friend gave me a legit copy through student alliance and it's got an inbuilt virtual PC so you can use XP too, so basically i will have 3 OS's on one machine. I'll copy and paste the specs i have at the moment, all though I am looking into buying more Ram off Apple when they dual boot it for me.

Processor: 2.1 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm looking into getting 4GB of Ram so that it all runs nicely without a struggle. I am apprehensive about doing this though because I don't want to ruin my mac (hence why I'm letting Apple sort it out) But I really need this program for my Animation course called 3D Max, and unfortunately there isn't any other Mac alternative.

I will be looking to install the following programs on the windows side:
3D Max
Photoshop CS4
Maya (maybe, 2nd year if I need it.)

I'm going to use my Mac side as my personal side and my Windows side as my work side, as unfortunately we don't use Macs at Uni.

I'll also be wanting to play a few games on the Windows side, nothing drastic like WoW or Halo, just the likes of Rayman, my old Harry potter games, etc.

I really need some advice before I go ahead and do this. I don't want windows to bugger up my computer like XP did with my last one. I have a Windows 7 installation disc, my mac driver discs, and I'm going to back up all my stuff on an external harddrive first.
Comments and suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Why not run CS4 in OS X? Much nicer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Firstly, has anyone dual booted there mac with windows?

Plenty of people on these forums have done this. I have my Mac Pro (specs in signature) dual booted with Windows 7.

Secondly, how did they find the process? Have you had any problems since?

No issues. I use the Win7 partition only for games, but I have had no issues whatsoever.

and I'm going to back up all my stuff on an external harddrive first.

Your already ahead of the game. Quite a few people start the process before determining a decent and reliable backup strategy. You seem to have thought things through and have a plan. It's not a complex process. There are plenty of guides, help sites etc to help you if you run into issues..especially these forums.

In sum....Lock and Load :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.