Data on new hard drive question

Reaction score
im looking at buying a new hardrive for my mid 2009 macbook pro and wanted to know if there was a way to move my current hardrive data the new one or do i need to just do a clean install on the new hardrive that i install??

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You should back up your computer using Time Machine. When you install OS X onto the new drive, you'll be given the option to restore from a Time Machine backup. Be sure you still have your installation disk before you start and make sure your Time Machine backup is complete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Or you could do a clean install of OS on newly installed HD then use Migration Assistant [in Utilities folder] to move all your info off of the Old HD that u have fitted into a new enclosure - This you could then use for an 'Off site" back up unit. Just depends on which makes more sense for your operation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.