*** just happened.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
ok i know what i did but apple dosent have a clue how to fix it...read on....

I was on my ibook and i wanted to have 3 simple master folders and ive done this on my powermac and it worked fine so i was moving a start-up folder (have have no clue witch one,i no i wasnt suppose to but i wasnt really paying attention to the fact that i was moving a start-up folder) and instantly my mac went into wait......after 5 minutes of waiting i restarted my ibook (not knowing what the problem was) and all i got when i start up is a MASSIVE kernal panic and i cant do anything (ill post a pic later) i thought it wasnt that big of a deal so i went to apple.com and looked on how to fix th probelm after reading EVERYTHING on eraseing a kernal i determend im gonna hve to install osx after an hour of fishing medal of hounor out of my drive i insterted osx i held down "c" as it starts up like the document says and all i get is the grey apple still...nothing happends after ive held "c" for like 5 mins and try at lest 3 times i determened that this isnt gonna work so i read to see i might have to reset the nvram? (i think thats what its called) i do it nothing happends still just the old KERNAL PANIC message...argh so i read more on how to fix this problem and try to start with reinstalling mac os 9...idk why the doc just said "if nothing above solves the problem than reinstall os9 and then from there reinstall os x" so i tryed...still it locks up at the gray apple......SOOO then i call our personal computer guy "mike" mike says keagan...youve got a huge problem and i said NO ****...(sorry) and he says he will try to make it by tonight but if not first thing tomarrow so i thought so this problem solved..."cuz mike knows everything,right...right" well i wake up at 1 pm..and my dad says still no sign of him yet soo i call his cell and get his voice mail and hes ALWAYS good on calling people so at 4 pm stlll no sign of him 7 pm rolls around still no sign i call him back up telling him im not gonna be home till midnight so he'll have to wait till morning sunday i wake up and thought i called him 2 times i didnt hear from him the whole day so at 7 i call apple and ask them whats wrong the guy basicly reads fromn the article "fixing eraced kearnals and other start up problems" and i tell him IVE DONE EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID!!! LIKE 543 TIMES the guy says he dosnet know whats wrong and says ill have to send it in and and i might need a new hard drive "ive gone thought 2 alreadly" and say i can fix that!....so it being sunday and 10pm i decide to give a shot in the moring after school so i get home a get rip open the package of the hard drive that my mom bought and replace it (and i know i did it right cuz ive done it 4 times) and STILL I GET THE KEANAL PANIC!!!! and oddly enough "mike" the cpu guy walks though the front door and trys to restill osx AGAIN by holding "c" and says wow man your really good at breaking computers.hahahahaha **** YOU!...(sorry) so he takes the computer (he lives like 5 mins away) and calls me back a half and hour later and says dude i think youve got bad ram i dont because i have installed the gig a bought yet and i tell him thats in possable because its solder into the logic board..well he says "i think its gone" i said YOUR INSANE i just said its in the board soo he says welp call apple..."dude"......i said did it......soooooooo im asking you guys *** IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER

ILL POST PIC LATER WHEN I HAVE TIME
:batman:

D

Desolate One

Did you try to boot your iBook in target mode and remotely format the drive via your Powermac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I think your friend Mike and the Apple Tech had the best advice...call Apple and send it to them to let them take a look. You can only troubleshoot so far over the phone and you are better off just letting Apple have a crack at it.
If you have already gone through two hard drives, then there is likely a much deeper hardware issue here that you will most likely not be able to repair yourself.
Oh and if you do call Apple, you may want to be hush-hush about the fact that you already changed out your hard drive on your own. Doing so voided any warranty you have, so if they don't know you have done this, you are better off.

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Desolate One said:
Did you try to boot your iBook in target mode and remotely format the drive via your Powermac?
how do i do that?
l

X

xthisisRomancex

www.apple.com said:
How to use FireWire target disk mode
Learn what FireWire target disk mode (TDM) is and how to use it.

Description and requirements
FireWire target disk mode allows a Macintosh computer with a FireWire port (the target computer) to be used as an external hard disk connected to another computer (the host). Once a target computer is started up as a FireWire hard disk and is available to the host computer, you can copy files to or from that volume.

Important: The computer will not go into FireWire target disk mode if "Open Firmware Password" has been enabled.

Host computer requirements

Host computers must meet the following requirements:

Built-in FireWire port, or a FireWire port on a PC card

FireWire 2.3.3 or later

Mac OS 8.6 or later

Target computers

The following models can be used as target computers:

iMac (Slot Loading) with Firmware version 2.4 or later

iMac (Summer 2000) and all models introduced after July 2000

eMac (All models)

Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) with ATA drive

Power Mac G4 Cube

Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) and all models introduced after July 2000

Power Mac G5 (all models)

iBook (FireWire) and all models introduced after September 2000

PowerBook G3 (FireWire)

PowerBook G4 (All models)

FireWire software

You can download the latest Firmware and FireWire software from the Apple Software Updates Web site (http://www.apple.com/swupdates/).

How to use FireWire target disk mode

Important: Unplug all other FireWire devices from both computers prior to using FireWire target disk mode. Do not plug in any FireWire devices until after you have disconnected the two computers from each other, or have stopped using target disk mode.

Tip: If you will be transferring FileVault-protected home directories (Mac OS X 10.3 or later only), log in as the FileVault-protected user and temporarily turn off FileVault. After transferring home directory contents to the target computer, enable FileVault protection again if desired.

To use FireWire target disk mode

Make sure that the target computer is turned off. If you are using a PowerBook computer or iBook computer as the target computer, you should also plug in its AC power adapter.
Use a FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin) to connect the target computer to a host computer. The host computer does not need to be turned off.
Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will likely appear on desktop.
When you are finished copying files, drag the target computer's hard disk icon to the Trash or select Put Away from the File menu (Mac OS 9) or Eject from the File menu (Mac OS X).
Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.
Unplug the FireWire cable.

If the target computer's hard disk does not become available to the host computer, check the cable connections and restart the host computer.

Find out about "FireWire Ports and Specifications".

Tip: FireWire Target Disk Mode works on internal ATA drives only. Target Disk Mode only connects to the master ATA drive on the Ultra ATA bus. It will not connect to Slave ATA, ATAPI or SCSI drives.

l
here you got straight from the apple site

D

Desolate One

Or to diagnose the built-in RAM you could boot w/ the OS X disk and run a hardware test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
if target disk mode does not work, I would say, send it to apple let them deal with it, a computer should not go into a completly freak like that because you moved one folder.

X

xthisisRomancex

look at the date on the thread bud.
this was two months ago

OP
iLEFTOVERCRACK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha yeah...
i got it fixed a long time ago by some guy at the apple store
i donno what he did but it took an hour

Reaction score
haha yeah...
i got it fixed a long time ago by some guy at the apple store
i donno what he did but it took an hour

how much did it cost???
did u watch him as he did it?

and also did the whole firecable thing not work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.