My Guitar and GarageBand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Honestly speaking, garageband is the best software ever! I bought a macbook pro recently and i've learnt how to use garageband, but what i can't figure out is -how to connect my guitar to my macbook. I have a semi-acoustic guitar. From what i know, in order to use it as an electric guitar i have to buy an acoustic amplifier and a cable to connect both of them. The total cost of this sums up to around 200 dollars. However, I recently learnt that i can use my macbook, in the sense, I can hook up my semi-acoustic guitar to my laptop and then get electric sounds! However, I can't figure out what to do? I just have a guitar and a macbook. Unfortunately my macbook doesn't have a audio in jack. There's only one jack and thats the audio out jack which i use for headphones. along with that are USB ports and SD card readers, i believe. So can anyone please tell me what I have to buy to get my semi-acoustic guitar connected to my macbook and how much the approximate cost is gonna be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.53Ghz
Honestly speaking, garageband is the best software ever! I bought a macbook pro recently and i've learnt how to use garageband, but what i can't figure out is -how to connect my guitar to my macbook. I have a semi-acoustic guitar. From what i know, in order to use it as an electric guitar i have to buy an acoustic amplifier and a cable to connect both of them. The total cost of this sums up to around 200 dollars. However, I recently learnt that i can use my macbook, in the sense, I can hook up my semi-acoustic guitar to my laptop and then get electric sounds! However, I can't figure out what to do? I just have a guitar and a macbook. Unfortunately my macbook doesn't have a audio in jack. There's only one jack and thats the audio out jack which i use for headphones. along with that are USB ports and SD card readers, i believe. So can anyone please tell me what I have to buy to get my semi-acoustic guitar connected to my macbook and how much the approximate cost is gonna be?

Out of curiosity what size screen is your macbook pro? I want to get the 13" but I'm not sure if it is enough for music recording on garage band.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, OS X v. 10.6.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Reaction score
You need to buy a recording interface. Prices range from $50 to $30,000 depending on what you want to do, really. A recording interface is a device that lets you plug in XLR connections (mic cable), 1/4" connections (electric guitar, bass guitar, etc), and maybe MIDI instruments (keyboard/synth).

Garageband is compatible with almost any kind of interface, but I think interfaces by Digidesign don't work with anything besides ProTools (don't worry, digidesign products are slightly overpriced and not very good in general, they are just ok).

Once you have an interface, you basically plug in your electric guitar into the interface, and you plug the interface into your MBP. Then you go in garageband and you select the correct input. Then start recording!

For more info, go to gearslutz.com that website has so much knowledge!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
I dont necessarily agree with the above opinion about the digidesign interfaces. I use one everyday and it works perfectly fine. But that's just my opinion.
But if you're looking for something really simple and easy to connect your guitar to your mcp, try this "imic" gadget -
Griffin iMic | Sweetwater.com
It basically converts a usb port to and audio I/O.
That's probably the easiest thing to use. you just need to get a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter for your guitar cable..make sure it's a STEREO converter!

Reaction score
I know this one...

I have done some band recordings using nothing but the Line in Jack on the left side of the MacBookPro. it's the one next to the Headphone Jack. you will have to enter the GarageBand>Preferences>Audio/MIDI and change the Audio Input to Built-In Input. you will just need a Amp Cord(do NOT mix Stereo to Mono, you will hear Static.) to a Mini 1/8 Plug to go from the Guitar to MacBook. about 15$ Radio Shack. before you record, set your guitars volume to the Max. and set your recording level appropriately.

I have not tried to hook an Amp up to the Laptop... but I don't see why that would be needed. Not saying that it couldn't work though...

I do the vocals with a Logitech USB microphone, mainly for Singers...
I use an XLR Microphone patched to a Stereo Plug and to the Built-In Input for Screams and Louder Vocals and even drums... for some odd reason the XLR has a very LOW pick up. but the Drums sound perfect!

Also I have found less feedback errors when recording in a Vocal Project. I know that the Guitar project would seem to be the ideal, but I suppose unless you know all of the setting of the software "Amps" it's too much of a hassle, I have found the 'Guitars' Effects a wonderful add on, gotta love the Surf Sound...

Have some fun, make some money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.