If Windows on a PC runs slow, will it perform same way on Mac?

Reaction score
Asking this as a new question, because I realize you can transfer all your PC Windows intel onto any new Mac, but my question then comes into play . . . if you currently run slow (because of bogged down files, Norton running in background deleting viruses etc.) will it run similarly in "virtualization" on any new Mac I'd hypothetically purchase?

I ran my "transfer of files from PC to Mac" question by a computer repair guy who emailed this:

On your computer issues, there is a virtual pc you can run on the mac, basically all macs are pc guts. I think microsoft has a virtual pc for mac for like $200 or so. It is doable, the oly hitch I forsee is that the dell disk might give you problems. I havent tried setting up a vpc on a mac yet so I am kinda in the dark with it too. I dunno I personally would stick with a pc myself, you can get real decent ones for far less than youd pay on a mac. Intels new chip is coming out and it should scream in a system with a bunch of memory, decent video card and windows 7.

But my reasons for switching are varied, i.e.:

#1. I am graphics oriented, using the system constantly for business

#2. Current PC platform has made me tired of keeping out nasties, fighting
with a bogged down system from having to have Norton continually
running and deleting nasties

#3. Basically want a faster system, to move around current desktop from
folder to folder or to specific software, i.e. Photoshop 6.0,
FrontPage2002, blog access etc.

#4. This unit is an old clunker with 2 hard drives (the original is from old Dell
and acts as a "slave") which is already two years old with an OEM
version of XP Pro and I'm noticing more hoops to jump through in
order to gain quick access to this and that particular program, link,
folder, software....

Just want to be certain if I spend money on a quality product, I won't be experiencing the same thing after I switch all my PC onto a Mac, so the performance aspect....will it be noticable for the better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Basically any PC set-up that is running slow on a PC will have similar problems running on a virtual PC, its a fault of windows.

But to get a pC system running in a VPC (Sun do a decent free one called VirtualBox) you will have to start with a fresh install of Windows, so performance will be much better, but you will still need security software for any virtual machine connected to the Internet.

If you get a Mac, it is much better to do more of your daily work and Internet access using Mac programs, since OS X will not get any malware (unless you willfully install untrusted software). Adobe will let you cross grade any of their software to Mac OS versions and there are plenty of alternatives to FrontPage that are much better programs anyway.

So in short, if you buy a mac, use OSX and OSX programs and use a VPC only for those programs you cannot use in OSX and, of course, for testing websites in IE.

Reaction score
The problems people have with PC's is not the machine itself its the OS thats on it. That 2 year old PC would work rather well with like Linux on it. You will Love your Mac.:D

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you Louishen...great insights. It is IMPERATIVE then that I do a fresh install of Windows - so here again, this is where I have these questions....I currently run a two year old system (as Mac SK reiterates) and it is running an OEM version of Windows XP Pro. Going further backwards, this OEM version is on a machine I am running because the first Dell Dimension 8200 which was running the original version of Windows XP Pro had the motherboard fizzle out.
I was fortunate enough to find some local PC repair techs who salvaged the OLD hard drive and installed it into this current machine as a "slave" drive...along with the other hard drive running along side it. So, in essence....to put all of this onto a VPC Mac, can I use the original disk of Windows XP Pro without an affect on the files, folders, invoices and information on the current hard drive and also the slave drives running in this current clunker? Your insights have been invaluable.

OP
D
Reaction score
REVIVING this thread to ask about Carbonite

This question pertains to Carbonite's RESTORE feature and I recently heard this. If you have a PC and an up-to-date account with Carbonite, that if you were to purchase a new Mac desktop and want to run all your old PC files on your new Mac, simply go to your Carbonite account o your new Mac, and RESTORE all files off old system to new Mac. In essence, I found this on the Rush Limbaugh site:

How do I get my files back if I have a disaster?

With Carbonite, retrieving lost files takes just a few clicks. You go to Online Backup, Computer Backup Software & Remote Backup ? Carbonite.com, re-install Carbonite on your new or repaired PC, and click “Restore.” All the data that you lost will be restored automatically to your new computer.

Now, I am still PCoriented, BUT still looking into a Mac. So this potential option of signing up to Carbonite prior to buying a new Mac, and then once I set up the new Mac, log into my carbonite account and restore all files onto the new system.

#1. Has anyone gone this route?

#2. Does it sound feasable / doable?

Insights are appreciated, as always . . . .

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Carbonite is one of many on-line backup solutions. The trouble is, that most people's Internet connections are an order of magnitude slower than connecting even the slowest USB backup drive directly to your new Mac. Using an on-line backup provider, you could be waiting days or weeks to complete just the backup, and then of course days or weeks to restore it to your Mac.

My recommendation, if you want to go this route, would be to simply use Microsoft's own backup software (built into every recent version of Windows) to backup your data to an external drive.

Alternatively, you could simply share your profile directory over a network connection to the Mac and transfer your files this way.

And of course, if you buy your Mac at the Apple Store, they will be glad to transfer your data if you haul your old PC in, at no charge.

OP
D
Reaction score
cwa107....that is great feedback. I do have high speed broadband connectivity - so you mean this does not make any difference concerning on what I mentioned in my previous post? And btw, I do have a local Mac outlet I discovered where I could buy a new Mac desktop....so I was curious if those guys would do it if I brought down this current PC I'm using. And also, this current PC is running files off of a previously installed "slave" drive from my original old computer (Dell Dimension 8200) and what I have on the original hard drive which I've stored in various folders over the last year and a half I've had this thing. Thanks for your thoughts / in-depth feedback

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107....that is great feedback. I do have high speed broadband connectivity - so you mean this does not make any difference concerning on what I mentioned in my previous post?

Even the fastest residential broadband accounts are an order of magnitude slower than the slowest external USB hard drive.

And btw, I do have a local Mac outlet I discovered where I could buy a new Mac desktop....so I was curious if those guys would do it if I brought down this current PC I'm using.

Yes, they will port all of your data free of charge.

And also, this current PC is running files off of a previously installed "slave" drive from my original old computer (Dell Dimension 8200) and what I have on the original hard drive which I've stored in various folders over the last year and a half I've had this thing. Thanks for your thoughts / in-depth feedback

That shouldn't make much of a difference. You could also remove the hard drives and use a USB to PATA adapter to port the data off the existing hard drives and onto the Mac manually.

OP
D
Reaction score
That shouldn't make much of a difference. You could also remove the hard drives and use a USB to PATA adapter to port the data off the existing hard drives and onto the Mac manually.[/QUOTE]

If I bought this new Mac at the local outlet I mentioned to you, do you mean they would do this also?

OP
D
Reaction score
While on the subject of CARBONITE . . . . .

OK, so I now wonder, if you are actively running Carbonite on your computer and for instance the machine completely dies / fries on you, then if you dd need to retrieve your files, you mean these types of programs are more or less a joke? Curious if anyone has feedback regarding this aspect of it. In essence, you mean your typical high-speed connectivity wouldn't be enough to completely or effectively retrieve everything that you lost?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so I now wonder, if you are actively running Carbonite on your computer and for instance the machine completely dies / fries on you, then if you dd need to retrieve your files, you mean these types of programs are more or less a joke? Curious if anyone has feedback regarding this aspect of it. In essence, you mean your typical high-speed connectivity wouldn't be enough to completely or effectively retrieve everything that you lost?

Sure, but if you have a lot of data, it will take a very long time. Think about it - the last time you needed to download a large file (let's say a game on Steam). It might weigh in around 4GB. How long does that take? 2 hours or so? Now imagine you have 100GB of data. Now we're talking 2 days - and you'd better hope your ISP doesn't have a bandwidth cap like Comcast does.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I see what you mean, and truth be told, I wonder if most people (even the almighty El Rushbo) take this into consideration when he touts the virtues of Carbonite.
I have a ton of graphic images stored on my slave drive (the original hard drive) installed on this current two year old clunker....not to mention all the new stuff I've put into folders and itemized on the other original hard drive that came with this unit....plus photos, emails in my OE6, invoices, .txt files.
I do have a Maxtor portable USB drive sitting under the table and about 8/9 months ago downloaded everything off here onto the Maxtor and then uploaded all of it onto my Dell Laptop for safe-keeping. I just haven't got the patience to start burning folders onto separate CD's and itemizing tons of stuff that way. I also have 17 separate websites I built using FrontPage that are stored on this unit....so there is a ton at stake.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't forget that media personalities are paid by their sponsors, so of course they're going to give whatever product a sterling review.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a friend who uses Carbonite to back up his Dell Laptop that he takes with him on the job as a construction Engineer. He depends on the machine and needs to back stuff up just in case. Someone recommended Carbonite. He does his backups with it from home on Cable when he returns from work.

He has complained about it many times saying very slow (which makes sense with typical internet speeds) but also complained about the people who run it for some reason. He did not seem very happy is all I know.

When fixing his dell I messed with it. It worked but it took a while to back up a few new files that were on the hard drive. It was automatic as long as there was an internet connection.

This friend is a pretty smart person so I take what he says about things more seriously than I do with some people I know.

I really prefer just getting a Firewire (800 if possible) external hard drive and running Time Machine for automatic backups or using either Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper and do the backup manually

OP
D
Reaction score
That is interesting to hear dTrav.....and I realize what cwa says about Rushter having to "talk up" to Carbonite. Bottom line is I will use my trusty Maxtor portable and and make a new download of all curent files on this clunker and re-upload to my existing Dell laptop to be on the safe-side. I had a computer guy at a local shop put some extra memory sticks in that laptop to handle more stuff I Maxtor up to it anyway.
When I do make a purchase of a new Mac desktop, I'll probably do what cwa says and have those guys take this current clunkster and upload all the files off this, onto the new Mac....and my only worry is the "slave" drive files and separate original hard drive files if they will all go into the new machine OK....I guess they should. Thanks gents...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.