lost all her data while installing 10.6

Reaction score
Hi Brand new to forum so hello.
My girlfriend is gonna kill me.
I recently got snow leopard for my mac pro.
I haven't had a new OS for ages and remember when you could have it on multiple computers.
Anyway I wanted to test out snow leopard on her mac pro and realized that i had to register this copy to her computer.
I back tracked and reinstalled the original OS10.4 onto hers.
In the panic i must have skipped a back up option and have now lost all her data!
I know this is a long shot but can i retrieve that data?
I downloaded some software and started a test.
I then read that i should stop using it and take it to a recovery place.
Am I wasting my time please if any one can help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you made a completely clean install, and not an archive and install, then the chances are very very very slim I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Let Data rescue or that other program do a scan in demo mode, if that doesn't come up with much then talk to a recovery company

OP
D
Reaction score
Recovery

Just spoke with someone in London and they quoted £275+vat.
they not run any tests as will lose more data.
Does that sound right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pity it is under such dire stress!

Yes recovering data is pretty dear and with no guarantee. Here Down Under quotes of $600 to $1000 are pretty common, still as stated with no guarantee of recovering all the data.

Next step is to throw yourself on her bountiful mercy explaining you are just a Mere Male. Think that wikll work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Pity it is under such dire stress!

Yes recovering data is pretty dear and with no guarantee. Here Down Under quotes of $600 to $1000 are pretty common, still as stated with no guarantee of recovering all the data.

Next step is to throw yourself on her bountiful mercy explaining you are just a Mere Male. Think that wikll work?

Agreed!
Hopefully she has a back up.... but yep, flowers, chocolates, clean the house before she gets home, a few tears if you can work them up :)
Us mere males do stuff like this, so hopefully she will be really forgiving and understanding, and all you will need to put up with is being reminded of this every time you have a disagreement!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Let Data rescue or that other program do a scan in demo mode, if that doesn't come up with much then talk to a recovery company
This.

This will VERY likely work. All you have done is format over it, so the chances of recovering the data without going to a data recovery company is pretty high. I'd try that, if you find the data you want.. pay for the software. 300 quid is likely based on this information, and not recovering from a catastrophic drive failure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.