Printing to a Windows shared printer

Reaction score
Ok, this is crap.
I've tried everything.

I'm trying to get my iMac to print to a printer (Canon MP970) connected to a Windows computer (XP, SP2).
I can connect to the computer and share files (most of the time) but i can't print. I get a "Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)" error.....
I've tried heaps of **** like editing the CUPS but i cant get it to work....

Any help would be great thanks!!

wait... now i can't even connect to the computer......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X; Version 10.6; 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4GB; HDD 500GB
I get the same error message while trying to connect to a Sharp AR-5316E windows shared printer.

Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)

I succeeded to connect to another windows shared printer: Epson which drivers were listed on the built-in printers' drivers directory that came with the Mac setup.

After taking almost two days of reading and searching through the web, finally I realized that the only solution would be that Sharp makers publish a version of the driver for this type of printer for Mac.

At least, Epson works great - slow but at least works.

Reaction score
Bit belated but might still help someone .....

I've ran into this sometime back and it took a while to get figured out. Since the MAC OS is somewhat based on Linux to an extent, try this Printer post and this sharing through samba post. Might move you along further or hint at things you haven't tried yet.

Good Luck!
Namuy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.