Hard Drive Mounting Screw Size?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 - 2.26 C2D - 9400m - 2gb RAM - 500gb 7200.4 Seagate
So I've looked around the net for the answer to what size driver I need for the "standoff" screws you need to remove and put on a new hard drive. And I only found one reference which said it was a T8.

And before I go out and get another driver I want to make sure that's the right one. Seems off to me since a T10 is quite a bit larger and a TT7 is also too big (Which should be a T7 with a hole in the center). So to me it seems like it would be a T6 or smaller?

I know a lot of people swap their hard drives, so I was surprised I couldn't seem to find that info anywhere.

Thanks! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I've looked around the net for the answer to what size driver I need for the "standoff" screws you need to remove and put on a new hard drive. And I only found one reference which said it was a T8.

And before I go out and get another driver I want to make sure that's the right one. Seems off to me since a T10 is quite a bit larger and a TT7 is also too big (Which should be a T7 with a hole in the center). So to me it seems like it would be a T6 or smaller?

I know a lot of people swap their hard drives, so I was surprised I couldn't seem to find that info anywhere.

Thanks! :D

Just buy a set of these mini-screwdrivers...a whole set can be purchased very inexpensively...then you have whatever you need now & in the future!

Here's an example...cost you a whole $7.99:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

And another example for $8.99:

32-Piece Mini Screwdriver Set w/Assorted Bits & Case ST-D154

Hope this helps,:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 - 2.26 C2D - 9400m - 2gb RAM - 500gb 7200.4 Seagate
I could, but I already have 3 similar things. And have never needed anything that wasn't in them till I needed a sub T7 driver.

So at this point I just want to know the exact size so I can just buy or borrow the one I need.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I could, but I already have 3 similar things. And have never needed anything that wasn't in them till I needed a sub T7 driver.

If you have "3 similar things"...and they don't contain a T7...then is it really similar?

If you're not sure of the size...then get one of the sets I suggested...and I can guarantee you the size you need will be there.

And if you were to purchase just a T6 or a T7...what do you think you would pay for it? About the only place you can get "just" a T6 or a T7 would be Sears...and they charge $3.99:

Craftsman T6 x 1-1/2 in. Screwdriver

Craftsman T7 x 1-1/2 in. Screwdriver

Just trying to help,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
t6 torx screwdriver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.