mini displayport to anything hdmi etc??

Reaction score
hey, had a mbp for a while, got a mini display port, wanted to hook it upto my lcd, has a hdmi input etc.. What you guys recommend best?? Any links etc will be helpfull. I went into an apple store the other day, useless to say the least aswell as she was trying to sell me a mini dv cable or what ever.. thanks peeps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 - 2.26 C2D - 9400m - 2gb RAM - 500gb 7200.4 Seagate
hey, had a mbp for a while, got a mini display port, wanted to hook it upto my lcd, has a hdmi input etc.. What you guys recommend best?? Any links etc will be helpfull. I went into an apple store the other day, useless to say the least aswell as she was trying to sell me a mini dv cable or what ever.. thanks peeps.

DVI will give you the best picture quality and since your monitor has HDMI it should have DVI as well. The thread bob linked has a picture of what DVI looks like. So the person at the Apple store was most likely trying to sell you the correct adapter that you need. Unless they were trying to sell you a firewire cable for a digital camcorder.

If you don't have that, HDMI is most likely better than VGA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
DVI will give you the best picture quality and since your monitor has HDMI it should have DVI as well. The thread bob linked has a picture of what DVI looks like. So the person at the Apple store was most likely trying to sell you the correct adapter that you need. Unless they were trying to sell you a firewire cable for a digital camcorder.

If you don't have that, HDMI is most likely better than VGA.
Since the difference between DVI and HDMI is that HDMI also carries audio signals.. there should be no difference in quality. There certainly isn't when I use either on my plasma.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 500gb 2.8GHz 4gb
I just bought mini disport to dvi and hooked it up to my 24" samsung LCD and nothing. Should I get the DVI to HDMI connection or do i need a converter. Thanks to anybody that can help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You did change the input on the monitor to the DVI connection right?

Unplug all connections and plug them back in - even if they all look and feel good.

You can also try turning on the monitor, then turning on your Mac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I second Bob's suggestions. My 24" Samsung is connected to a Mac Book Pro via a Mini DisplayPort adapter and this happens every once in a while. Usually I know it has happened because the monitor will blink its analog notice. Turning the monitor off and then on again usually cures the problem right away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.