used 08 MacPro need help...

Reaction score
i bought a used 08 macpro laptop from a pawn shop. basicaly i can get on but the original buyer name is everwhere. how do i remove it and how do i unlock it if she has a password on some apps. like i try to intall a printer but i need the password.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i bought a used 08 macpro laptop from a pawn shop. basicaly i can get on but the original buyer name is everwhere. how do i remove it and how do i unlock it if she has a password on some apps. like i try to intall a printer but i need the password.....

In some places you may simply be able to click on the name & change it...like with folders.

In other cases if the software was registered in the previous owners name, you can't change that. And actually, unless you got the original disks for this software, you're not supposed to use it.

Finally...to really get rid of all the previous owners names...wiping the hard drive & reinstalling the OS is a sure fire way to do it. Of course then you need OS install disk(s).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And further if the machine has Firmware Password Protection not even that helps alas. No chance of contacting the owner for the password? Some folk use that form of protection in the event the laptop is stolen or lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you got it from a pawn shop, it could be stolen, and if they can't supply you with the password, you should take it back because it will be useless to you. Without a password you won't be able to download apps, store passwords use some system preferences or much of anything. As mentioned, not even having the original installation disk won't help if there's a firmware password.

I'd also be suspicious that nothing was wiped out. I don't know anyone who would just sell their computer without removing all their files and personal data, if not actually doing a totally clean reinstall. If there is a firmware password, I would guess that it is definitely stolen, because I doubt anyone who has bothered to go through the process of setting one up wouldn't forget to disable it if they were selling it just a year later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.