How Should People Enter My Website?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Running Snow Leopard 10.6.4
When I first put up my website for critique most people didn't like the fact that I put a welcome page up. If not for a welcome page then how should people enter my site. Should they enter through one of my instructional pages? (I am teaching how to skateboard) Should I just put a welcome page up? What should my index page be? A welcome page or some other page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It's all up to you. Your front page can be very standard or very unique. I suggest you look at others in your category or type and decide what you like and dislike.

The one thing I think about when I go into a new site is how easy is it to find what I'm looking for. Also, when I find the content I'm looking for, I want few distractions reading it and good contrast. I've actually seen sites with green text on a green background! Keep that in mind when you draw yours out on paper first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Just have it be the main page of your website. No need to splash pages or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
Yeah, welcome pages keep people from drilling farther into your site.

A welcome page that summarizes available content is better. You want to help visitors find the information they are looking for and entice them to look at content you are trying to promote.

A splash page does neither, and just makes the user have to click one additional time. The last report I read said that most web visitors will give up after three clicks. You got three clicks to get them captivated in your site. Don't waste one on a splash/welcome page.

dp

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
To quote the band Black Eyes Peas, "This is the now generation."

People want instant gratification, they don't want to wait for a page to load. They don't have time. They want information to be readily available and easy to find.

Need to keep this in mind for web design and pretty much anything that has large bits of information or things that need to convey a message. People don't want to over think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.