Trying to upgrade snow leopard from flash drive

Reaction score
My macbook is 10.4.11 and is intel. The disk drive is broken so i put the snow leopard disk in another PC and put it on an 8gb flash drive to transfer it to the mac. When i got it on there i was planning on doing this method Install OS X Snow Leopard from a USB flash drive

At the beginning of the instructions it says to go to steps 5-7 to make sure the flash drive is bootable. When I hold alt while booting the flash drive isnt there. I just bought it today so it's not old or anything.

If for some reason some flash drives are bootable could someone tell me he to make it bootable?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What filesystem did you use when you formatted the flash drive?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you noticed in the instructions on that site, you have to format the flash drive on the Mac and then the copy the files from the SL DVD the way they explained also in Disk Utility. If you did that last step on a Windows machine, no way will the Flash Drive be bootable on the Mac. It all has to be done on OSX which will be a issue for you since your optical drive is dead.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do let us know if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.