G5 dissapointment

T

TripSta

I was quite upset to find my new G5 was not compatible with my £20k recording studio. Ive been using mac for about 6-7 years. Now at the point where I have a band and 16 songs to record, I find:
a. the PCI card that connects to the 24 in out inteface, doesnt fit in the new g5!!
b. The 8 in 8out midi interface cant connect, cause theres no serial.

To fix the problem, its gonna cost my about £500 !! in extra stuff.

Now I undersatnd that sometimes to move on in technology, we have to leave somethings behind, but....

This is a £1500 computer, larger than my first mac and larger than my first 486!!!! Theres enough room in there to add an old pci slot or converter and a serial - usb adapter of some sort.

Im not impressed where apples heading. Years ago, apple was cool, slighly underground, now they are main stream commercial profit makers, with no regard to existing users.
:mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well to be perfectly honest, I'm sure a quick call to Apple beforehand would have enabled you to find out if your existing devices are compatible.

Sure it's possible for apple to include the adapters you're talking about, but most users wouldn't have any need for them and would be annoyed that they have to pay for them as well.
Even worse an old Pci slot might even reduce expandability which might not seem like an issue now, but could limit your machine a few years down the road.

IMO if you are a recording studio professional, and are dependent on this equipment for your livelyhood, you should either spend more time researching them beforehand (which is time-consuming and probably difficult when you're working under a tight schedule) or get professional advice from your local mac dealer or from apple directly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
It's not Apple's fault that you didn't do your homework. Technology changes, therefore Apple does, and you should too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Do you always buy such expensive stuff without researching about it before?!? Sorry, but it's your own fault, not Apple's.

Technology evolves, and as we all know, it does that very fastly...you can't ask manufacturers to stay compliant to old standards for ages (eventhough PCs do so, and therefore are pretty crippled and difficult to be run stable).

OP
T

TripSta

Wooooooh, check you little mac-alites.
How about, I dont need to do my home work and they announce the changes in big letters so people with better things to do, dont have to spend it RESEARCHING the internet.

And anyway I bought the stuff I needed for a cool £500, it makes no odds to me in the long run, just messed up £1500 of recording session, that weekend.

Gues I should have done my research....... lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I guess when I spend big bucks, I feel that it is worth my time doing the research, but I do also know that not everyone feels that way. Just a personal preference for me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
TripSta said:
Wooooooh, check you little mac-alites.
How about, I dont need to do my home work and they announce the changes in big letters so people with better things to do, dont have to spend it RESEARCHING the internet.

Well, how big do you want those letters to be?
Nowhere is it said that the PowerMac G5 (or any other PowerMac G4, built for several years already) has a serial connector. Meaning: IT HAS NONE! :cool:

And of course Apple should take every single existing PCI card that is available worldwide, test it thouroughly with all of their equipment and put the huge list of working/non-working one's on their web-site. :blind:
Really totally unrealistic.
It's the manufacturer of the card who has to know with which computer it's compatible, not the other way around (it's the same for PCs, by the way).

And you know what? No actual PC ( no matter which price) can handle an ISA-card anymore, because there's no slot for it...isn't that a big ripoff either?!? Maybe you should blame those PC-building companies for that too...

Really, man, you made the mistake...don't blame it on the company who builds the material (no matter what brand).

OP
B

butchdiesel

TripSta said:
I was quite upset to find my new G5 was not compatible with my £20k recording studio. Ive been using mac for about 6-7 years. Now at the point where I have a band and 16 songs to record, I find:
a. the PCI card that connects to the 24 in out inteface, doesnt fit in the new g5!!
b. The 8 in 8out midi interface cant connect, cause theres no serial.

To fix the problem, its gonna cost my about £500 !! in extra stuff.

Now I undersatnd that sometimes to move on in technology, we have to leave somethings behind, but....

This is a £1500 computer, larger than my first mac and larger than my first 486!!!! Theres enough room in there to add an old pci slot or converter and a serial - usb adapter of some sort.

Im not impressed where apples heading. Years ago, apple was cool, slighly underground, now they are main stream commercial profit makers, with no regard to existing users.
:mad:

are you running pro tools? if so, just go out and find a used blue and white g3 and load the baby up with ram, then you will have your old school pci slots :black:

that's what i am using in my studio and it runs awesome.

OP
T

TripSta

butchdiesel said:
are you running pro tools? if so, just go out and find a used blue and white g3 and load the baby up with ram, then you will have your old school pci slots :black:

that's what i am using in my studio and it runs awesome.

Yeah, The thought crossed my mind but the dual 1.8 is fast.

Avalon: what PC doesnt have normal PCI slots? We just got one for studio B and its takes the old cards, funny.

Heres a little something for ya: If i buy a deisel car, and Im not expecting total change, a few bits here and there, like how new series come out, and it says Diesel on it. I buy it, then find out its a speciel type of diesel that my town garage doesnt have, then...... is it that my fault or is it the dealers fault for not telling me that, buy the way its a totally new type of diesel car?
Think about it: if i dont expect those kind of changes, then how can i RESEARCH them. lol

But of course you guys new that, your smart, keep up to date, prob have apple.com as your home page!!!!

Thanks for the chat guys.

Heres a question:
Does anyone know how to make osx look and act like os 9? Cause osx looks rubbish, getting its ideas from XP? Whats all this My computer style crap, and having to enter all your detail when installing, getting a bit microsoft arnt they? Walt disney presents: osx, haha.

I want a harddrive with everything in that, no users, just me.
And what happened to extensions manager??

waiting your speedy mac replies.
:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TripSta said:
Think about it: if i dont expect those kind of changes, then how can i RESEARCH them. lol

Well, if you take it that way, you're probably right...nevertheless, in the everchanging and growing computer business it's highly advisable to check if your hardware is compatible with the latest available computer.What was true yesterday, might not be anymore tomorrow...

And just for the record: apple.com is not my standard homepage, in fact, I don't have any standard homepage :cool:

For the other question, there's a soft called Shapeshifter, which allows you to change the way OS X looks. But There's no way to make OS X act exactly like OS9 in every aspect.
Concerning OS X being a multi-user OS, well, that's the way it's intended to be...don't forget it's based on UNIX, which has always been multi-user (yes, even before Windows NT/2K/XP). So you can't really change it to be completely like OS9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
OK, i think you should stop now, you sound like you froze in past and suddenly woke up after many years:)
yes I admit when I first upgraded from 9 to os X, i think 2-3 years ago, I had the same feeling. all this user stuff may seem confusing a bit. once you get over it, you're gonna love it.
and by the way its XP, who's copying from X, not on the other way around.
I see you do not like to RESEARCH:), but try to read on, how X works and how its organized. will sure help you.
cheers

OP
M

Morrigan

TripSta it sounds like you bought the wrong computer. I really think you need a Windows PC. It's pretty obvious that Mac doesn't have what you're looking for. Please don't take it out on the Mac community here.

OP
T

TripSta

Lol, avalon, cool, you seem like you have a sense of humour and a good banter, and nice you saw my point.

I have been a bit in the dark about osx.. Im an audio engineer lecturer and use g4s with os x, the college was about to move to g5s, also not realising the new architecture until my little situation. It would cost a lot to update all the Protools cards. I been using os 9 for as long as i could at my studio. Didnt see the need to move, works well never crashes with Cubase. I dont use it on the net either of network.

So is there no way in getting rid, or by passing the user stuff, so I can just have the haddrive. Because now sometimes when i install plugins now, they go either into the Harddrive, library, audio, plugins or sometimes into the users library. which is a pain, where should they default too?

Ill check out that sofware, does it take up cpu?

Come on you know apple.com is your home page!! lol.

OP
T

TripSta

Morrigan said:
TripSta it sounds like you bought the wrong computer. I really think you need a Windows PC. It's pretty obvious that Mac doesn't have what you're looking for. Please don't take it out on the Mac community here.

Morrigan, you being for real, im not taking it out on THE MAC COMMUNITY. Im just broadcasting my feelings. Is it upsetting you? If it is then argue why. You sound like religion, believing in it, but not sure why and when someone questions it, you back out. Thought this is what forums are for, or it for posting little smilies around?

OP
M

Morrigan

Calm down, it just seems like you really resent your purchase, didn't think it through before buying and have come here to tell us all what you should have thought about before doing anything.

If there's anything else anyone here can help you with, go ahead, ask, but please stop arguing for argument's sake. It's blatantly obvious what the problem really is.

The problem with the G5 is... YOU!

Reaction score
I'd like to jump in here just for a small comment about G5
I am really new to this stuff and it seems to me that this mac G5 is the system to beat all others. I understand about looking into things before you buy, believe me I reseached as much as I could before buying this computer.a simple over looked matter is really all thats going on here I'm sure your problem can be solved :mac:

OP
T

TripSta

Haha lol,
Im a desperate housewives viewer, although esties getting good wit grant n peggy comin back!! lol.

The studio is fine, theres no problem anymore, I love mac again, Steve Jobs should be Prime Minister. Hail the bitten apple and white looking power machines.

Gotta go, hollyoaks coming on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I love my G5 since I got a 9600XT for it (and I loved it before that too, even if I never really showed it (I just never liked the FX5200 - I don't like stutters in First TO Fight!! And DP2 owners will be put out next Rev!)) :doctor:

You tried eBay? :yinyang: I love it! I got a MacMice BT black mouse and black Apple keyboard (With lovely side USB and white never matched my Alu/black setup), 9600XT and lots more stuff. I love how cheap it is and I am still browsing for more and looking at the PowerMate as they're soo cool to have sitting on your desk. :yinyang:

Didn't they drop serial just like the obsolete floppy? :dummy:

Reaction score
Next time you make such a big purchase take some time, say, 20 min, to look at it before buying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.