VMware Fusion Is Haunting Me/Stacks Acting Funny HELP PLEASE!

Reaction score
Ok, I've been having some weird behavior on my iMac. I've searched Google a hundred times trying to find the answer to my questions with no luck. I've come here to Mac Forums hoping someone will have an answer. I've included screen shots so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

I'm currently running Mac OS 10.5.7 on my iMac. I run Windows Vista through BootCamp. Recently, I installed VMware Fusion to try and eliminate the need to restart every time I want to use Windows. I installed it and had it run off of the BootCamp partition I already had. It wasn't working out so well for me, so I uninstalled VMware Fusion, but now I seem to be having some weird problems.

Since installing VMware Fusion, if I right click a file (say for example a jpeg photo), and then "Open With" I get this:

Picture3.png

If I click on one of the options that says "BootCamp Partition" I get this:

Picture2.png

If I no longer have VMware Fusion installed, why am I still getting this message and why is "BootCamp Partition" an option when I right click when I never encountered that before?

Lastly, whenever I open my Application stack, all of my applications have the .app extension after the file name like this:

Picture1.png

Again, I never had this before VMware Fusion and I have "Show All File Exensions" turned off in Finder Preferences. It's driving me bonkers!

Does anyone have an answer to why this is happening? I'm desperate for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Personally I would have removed the Boot Camp partition and installed Fusion from fresh. Is this still an option for you?

OP
C
Reaction score
Personally, I don't even want to bother with VMware Fusion. I wanted to use it for gaming, but it didn't work out. The games responded slow and laggy. I can't remove the Boot Camp partition because I have too much saved information on it. I guess in the long run I would rather just boot into Windows and than have laggy unresponsive games.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you drag Fusion to the trash or did you use it's uninstaller?
If the former, reinstall and use the uninstaller.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm with bobtomay. It sounds like you simply dragged it to the Trash and a process from Fusion is still running. So, just because the main app is gone doesn't mean that all the secondary services are. Use the uninstaller that came with Fusion.

As for the extensions, go to Finder > Preferences > Advanced > uncheck "Show all filename extensions".

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you used the uninstaller, you should be good, but I'd give that a try just for good measure, because it sure looks like something from Fusion is still running.

After that, would do a repair permissions and then try rebuilding 'Launch Services' with either Onyx or MainMenu.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For the extensions, have you logged out and back in again? You usually don't need to do this but I've read that this will solve the problem if the checkbox is not checked.

OP
C
Reaction score
Update:

No more .app extensions in my stacks! I did what you said vansmith and it seems to have worked! Thank you!

Still getting the Open With...Boot Camp thing though. I'm gonna try bobtomay's suggestion, but for right now I'm just happy I don't have the annoying extensions anymore! Thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.