Applications Folder on Dock missing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
When I got my new iMAC several weeks ago, I had (as best I can recall) an Application Folder on the Dock. Today it's not there. I can still find the programs that were in the folder using the Finder ->Go->Applications link, but no matter what I do I can't find the folder that was on the Dock, nor can I seem to be able to make a replacement folder for the Dock.

I have no doubt that this problem is operator induced. Any suggestions and/or assistance to get a working folder on the Dock with program links would be appreciated. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's how to get it back to the Dock:

Open the Finder. Right click on the Applications folder and select "Get Info". At the bottom of the dialog which will open, you'll see an icon preview of the Applications folder. Grab hold of that icon preview with your mouse and drag it to the RIGHT side of your Dock and drop it in place. Make sure it's to the right of the separator or it won't stick. Also, be careful not to drag the folder to your desktop.

Once the folder is in place on the Dock, right click it and select "Display as" folder. You're done. :)

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)

Open the Finder. Right click on the Applications folder and select "Get Info". At the bottom of the dialog which will open, you'll see an icon preview of the Applications folder. Grab hold of that icon preview with your mouse and drag it to the RIGHT side of your Dock and drop it in place. Make sure it's to the right of the separator or it won't stick. Also, be careful not to drag the folder to your desktop.

Once the folder is in place on the Dock, right click it and select "Display as" folder. You're done. :)

Regards.
Sucessfully accomplished, and thank you for the assistance and the VERY quick reply. :)

Reaction score
Thanks

Thnaks alott for showing the feature that even this way we can drag and rop in mac...

Reaction score
I get the icon of the app at the top of the list of apps

Regards.

When I do this, I drag and drop the "A" icon onto the doc, and it then morphs into the icon for "1 password", which is the 1st icon in the list of apps in the Applications folder. If I remove "1 password" then when I drag the "A" icon onto the doc, the icon for whatever was next at the top of the Applications list ("Address Book" in my case) replaces the "A" on the doc after it is dragged there. And so on. So I can no get the applications icon onto the doc (to stay) this way.

Any help?

Mac Power Book Pro
i5 processor
OS X version 10.6.5.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You missed the 2nd step.

Once the folder is in place on the Dock, right click it and select "Display as" folder. You're done.

Reaction score
Application lost on doc

I read all the instructions for putting it back on and changing it to the right icon, but when i right click on the mouse i just get the items that are in my application folder and do not get a command "display as". My application icon has the address book icon. I have an Imac 27 dual core late 2009 make. I did make an alias and tried that but the application folder came out plain blue. When I go to finder and info I have to drag the bottom folder as nothing happens when i click and try to drag on the one in the upper left corner of info. Thanks for any help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I read all the instructions for putting it back on and changing it to the right icon, but when i right click on the mouse i just get the items that are in my application folder and do not get a command "display as".
If you're using a one-button mouse, you'll need to Control+Click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Or enable right clicking for your one-button mouse in System Preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.