Won´t boot after RAM installation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
I tried to replace the 2x1gb ram modules with 2x2gb modules from Kingston on my MacBook Pro, but it won´t boot. I only see the grey screen and the apple. I replaced the new modules with the old ones, but now that doesn´t work either. The mac simply won´t start with the original ram. I am sure the modules are inserted properly. Any ideas what might be wrong? I read somewhere about static electricity that can damage the motherboard when installing new ram, but would I even see the gray screen at startup if the motherboard were damaged?

MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo. New memory: Kingston KTA-MB667/2G

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I read somewhere about static electricity that can damage the motherboard when installing new ram

That's why you're supposed to discharge any static electricity before doing any internal work on computers!:)

Two ideas for you to try:

- Maybe try the original ram 1 stick at a time instead of pairs.
- Try booting the computer from the Disk(s) that came with the computer, and see if it will boot.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme
is it still under warranty if so put in the original ram and bring it in

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try booting with the Install DVD that came with the machine. Hold down C after the startup sound. Let us know what happens.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thankyou all, unfortunately it is not under warranty anymore, and I hope I will find that DVD... I´ll get back to you soon.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. It will not boot from the DVD. I have also tried 1 original ram stick at a time. I have been thinking that all this might be coincidental: The mac has been unstable lately. It sometimes just freezes, sometimes the keyboard and trackpad is dead at startup (or falls out after a few seconds) (I tried the sticky note solution and that works - but not every day) a few programs wont run, they make a single jump in the dock and that´s it. And the Carbonite free trial I deleted still is hidden somewhere in the root, slowing down everything. And t is really slow sometimes. I have tried to turn off all widgets, rid with all kinds of auto updates etc, and I run disk repair frequently. I wonder if the mac just use this ram issue as an excuse to blame it all on me...

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought Snow Leopard, and the mac obviously liked that. It finally did boot, and it accepted the new RAM too :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought Snow Leopard, and the mac obviously liked that. It finally did boot, and it accepted the new RAM too :)

Well...it's a mystery why it works with 10.6, and not 10.5...but hey, it's working.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that it remains stable!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.