Should I get a dual core Mac pro or a single core version -- and Monitor question

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

This is my first post and I couldn't find a related topic by simply browsing and searching the forum, so I am going to ask you guys.

I read this article:

Quad-Core and Eight-Core Mac Pros (2009 editions) Review | Desktop | Macworld

...which seemed to imply the extra CPU isn't worth the extra cash. What do you guys think? Which is the better deal?

ANOTHER question: I have a flat panel Dell monitor. Will the mac recognize this monitor?

Thanks,

Adam

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My question for you is this: do you need every bit of CPU power that comes with a quad-core processor? My guess is that you likely don't. Unless you absolutely need 8 cores of processing power, go with the quad (which you also probably don't need). What are you planning to do with this Mac?

OP
D
Reaction score
My question for you is this: do you need every bit of CPU power that comes with a quad-core processor? My guess is that you likely don't. Unless you absolutely need 8 cores of processing power, go with the quad (which you also probably don't need). What are you planning to do with this Mac?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm buying the mac basically just to edit film in Final Cut Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
The article compares quad core vs 8 core. You're asking about single vs duel. You will notice better performance from single vs duel. Unless your NASA, Goldman Sachs, or Steven Spielberg probably not from quad to 8 core. Dell monitor should work fine.

OP
D
Reaction score
The article compares quad core vs 8 core. You're asking about single vs duel. You will notice better performance from single vs duel. Unless your NASA, Goldman Sachs, or Steven Spielberg probably not from quad to 8 core. Dell monitor should work fine.

Whoops on the article. ;)

Thanks! I guess I'll go with that one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Dear Forum,

This is my first post and I couldn't find a related topic by simply browsing and searching the forum, so I am going to ask you guys.

I read this article:

Quad-Core and Eight-Core Mac Pros (2009 editions) Review | Desktop | Macworld

...which seemed to imply the extra CPU isn't worth the extra cash. What do you guys think? Which is the better deal?

ANOTHER question: I have a flat panel Dell monitor. Will the mac recognize this monitor?

Thanks,

Adam

Well I wouldn't be the first person to want "more computer" than I need...so if your budget allows, get as much computer as you can afford. Mac Pros hold their value pretty well, and all that extra computing power will make the computer more useful for a longer time.

BUT...if you don't have a big budget, and don't want to spend anymore than necessary...are you sure you even need a Mac Pro? Would a higher end iMac get the job done? Your call!

BTW...the Dell monitor should work fine. But honestly if you're considering buying a $2500-$3300 Mac Pro...you REALLY shouldn't be worrying about if a "cheezy" dusty old $50 dollar Dell monitor will work with it!;)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

p.s. If you really need a Mac Pro, you could consider purchasing a used one to save some bucks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't be the first person to want "more computer" than I need...so if your budget allows, get as much computer as you can afford. Mac Pros hold their value pretty well, and all that extra computing power will make the computer more useful for a longer time.

BUT...if you don't have a big budget, and don't want to spend anymore than necessary...are you sure you even need a Mac Pro? Would a higher end iMac get the job done? Your call!

BTW...the Dell monitor should work fine. But honestly if you're considering buying a $2500-$3300 Mac Pro...you REALLY shouldn't be worrying about if a "cheezy" dusty old $50 dollar Dell monitor will work with it!;)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

p.s. If you really need a Mac Pro, you could consider purchasing a used one to save some bucks.

Thanks!

First, it's not a cheesy $50 dell monitor. It's the biggest one that even fits into my desk.

Where could I find a used Mac Pro, ebay?

Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks!

First, it's not a cheesy $50 dell monitor. It's the biggest one that even fits into my desk.

Where could I find a used Mac Pro, ebay?

Thanks again.

Ok...it's not a "cheesy" Dell monitor if it's a BIG one!;)

Sure...for a used Mac Pro e-Bay's a good place to look...and occasionally Craig's List. Keep your eye open for refurbished deals on Apple.com as well.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.