• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD copying

A

andrew@twenty20

Is DVD backup and DVD2one still the only way to make dvd copies?
Or is there some new way that I'm not aware of yet?

OP
M

menace3054

mac the ripper, free on version tracker. then roxio popcorn. works amazingly

OP
N

NuKe

DVDBackUp (or MacTheRipper when the former fails), then DVD2OneX, then Roxio Toast 6 Titanium...***PM for info on where to acquire these...I also have PopCorn, haven't tried it yet.

OP
K

Kokopelli

NuKe said:
DVDBackUp (or MacTheRipper when the former fails), then DVD2OneX, then Roxio Toast 6 Titanium...***PM for info on where to acquire these...I also have PopCorn, haven't tried it yet.

Why not post the directions here? If you are going to suggest an illegal method may I request that you not do so on these boards? Some of us find this offensive. I am a professional programmer and it really bugs me when people callously talk about copying commercial software without paying for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yea, I know how you feel Kokopelli,although, I do undertake in the copying of DVDs in order to provide a back up, I always purchase the DVDs first. I use MacTheRipper, works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
mactheripper, handbrake and cinematize are 2 other really good compression apps. I've used both toast and popcorn for burning, though each has its pros and cons.

OP
K

Kokopelli

rs2sensen said:
Yea, I know how you feel Kokopelli,although, I do undertake in the copying of DVDs in order to provide a back up, I always purchase the DVDs first. I use MacTheRipper, works great.

I have no problems with making copies of legally owned DVDs for personal use. I make copies of DVDs myself so as not to risk the original when I am on the road. I was frowning upon the implied illicit method of getting commercial software to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also make backups, mostly a. cause my niece and nephews can damage stuff, and b. I sometimes have made them a copy of a movie I own so they can have their own copy to destroy.

OP
J

Jefe3223

I had this conversation tonight, actually. I saw my friends computer with MactheRipper in the dock and asked her about a compression software and she said toast w/ popcorn is the way to go. I, of course, only copy my DVDs (simpson's really) that I take to school with me, 'cause people are shifty.

OP
A

andrew@twenty20

DVD seems to be a very fragile medium

I seem to have raised the good old copywrite isue.

I have two little girls who bring the expected life of a DVD to about one viewing before it's compleatly stuffed.

DVD seems to be a very fragile medium and I'm sick of spending money to replace the darn things. Instant back-up is the only way to deal with the problem.

I recently saw a law stating it was illegal to remove the Macrovision code.

But you have to remove the code to back-up your legaly purchased DVD software.

Can someone please explaine???

OP
K

Kokopelli

It is a grey area of the law in the U.S. at this particular moment. Generally the opinion of consumer advocates is that making copies of DVDs for back-up purposes falls under the fair use clause of U.S copyright law. On the other hand some manufacturers argue that any attempt to remove or circumvent Macrovision, DVD Encryption, etc... is a violation of DMCA.

Here is my stock answer. If you are making a copy of a movie, music, what have you, that you personally own you can make backups for your own personal use. Further you can legally shift them to a format that can be stored and played from your personal computer. Provided you are using the copies for personal use and not trading/selling/distributing them, the chances of you ever coming up against the law approaches zero.

NOTE: backups does not mean "Make 2 copies so I can use them in two locations at the same time." Or "Make 5 backups and pass them out to my friends." Or "I will make a backup, sell or give away the original, and keep the copy for my use." None of these acions are legal under U.S. copyright law, though some or all might be legal in other countries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I, of course, only copy my DVDs (simpson's really) that I take to school with me, 'cause people are shifty.

Why exactly do you need to take Simpsons DVDs to school with you?*amused*

I recently saw a law stating it was illegal to remove the Macrovision code.

But you have to remove the code to back-up your legaly purchased DVD software.

Can someone please explaine???

That would be the wonderful paradox that we all face at the moment.
You're allowed to back up material you've bought, but you're not allowed to circumvent the copy protection in many countries...

Kind of like the whole "How am I supposed to make sure it runs on my computer without taking the software out of the shrink-wrap" dilemma...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what about time shifting? and copying of purchased dvds for my niece and nephews?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
Kokopelli said:
Why not post the directions here? If you are going to suggest an illegal method may I request that you not do so on these boards? Some of us find this offensive. I am a professional programmer and it really bugs me when people callously talk about copying commercial software without paying for it.

We arnt all as rich as you...

OP
K

Kokopelli

solidstalin said:
We arnt all as rich as you...

This is true and I can't help you there. However I might point out that you and the other gentleman have Macs worth at least $1000. I would argue if you can afford the Mac you can afford to pay the $20-30 for an application.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Macman said:
what about time shifting? and copying of purchased dvds for my niece and nephews?

Time shifing implies a temporal broadcast, which a DVD is not. Format Shifting is in theory allowed by fair use though.

By the law copying DVDs for your niece and nephews is not legal in the U.S. as I understand it. I also highly doubt that the manufacturers would treat making copies for friends or family members as reasonable. Whether this disturbs your personal moral compass is another matter.

OP
J

jerryny

Doughboy said:
i got toast 6 that works for me and its **** easy to use :)

I'm having problems doing just that. I wonder if it's because the original is DVD+R ?

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
Kokopelli said:
This is true and I can't help you there. However I might point out that you and the other gentleman have Macs worth at least $1000. I would argue if you can afford the Mac you can afford to pay the $20-30 for an application.

Its not my mac, i didnt pay for it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.