PowerMac G4 Dual Optical - will not boot & no display

Reaction score
PowerMac G4 Dual Optical - Model Number 8570 EMC No 1914 : 1.25GHz DP/256M DDR@ 333/80G/Combo/MDM

This machine was used daily until February 2007. From then till the last week of September 2009 the machine was in storage and was not powered up

When tried for the first time in over 2 years, the machine powered up and the main switch on the front of the computer came on but no audible chime was heard. The machine will not boot & no display (apart from grey screen visible).

The 3.6 v lithium battery was replaced. PRAM & NVRAM has been reset via the keyboard commands : Command+Option+P+R keys. After this, the chimes would work on power up but nothing is visible on screen. Also although the keyboard is functional evidenced by the success of the PRAM reset commands, the num & caps lock lights will not work nor will the CD drive "arrow" eject button. I have also removed the battery, reset the PMU on the logic board, and left the machine for over 30 minutes before powering up again:

Please advise if there is anything else I can try before I take it to a dealer for repair ?

Many thanks

Mike
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G;day mike and welcome to the forums.

Pop in your install DVD and try and boot from that by holding down 'C' and see if there is any response. If not, remove memory and reseat, also graphics card and reseat. If you can get it up and booted from the DVD go to Utilities, and run Repair Disk from there.

Keep us posted?

OP
M
Reaction score
Many thanks for the tips Harry - I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers!

Reaction score
The Hard Drive may be stuck. Also try to boot from the install disc with the HD unpluged.

OP
M
Reaction score
Many Thanks

Many many thanks for the two helpful replies so far.

My machine has been in storage for over 2 and a half years !

After resetting all internal connections resetting PRAM, changing battery etc etc, I tried booting the machine via diagnostic CDs with the HDD connected with results as follows :

HDD CONNECTED TO LOGIC BOARD

SOFTWARE INSTALL & RESTORE CD – Apple Logo and clock spinner appears but spinner keeps moving around without doing anything further.

APPLE HARDWARE TEST CD – booted to loading screen which stuck at the words loading and no further.

MAC OS X X CODE TOOLS – nothing showing except grey screen.
HOWEVER ….

HDD DISCONNECTED TO LOGIC BOARD

Although the HDD seems to be working ? it's making a ticking/clicking sound ?

I finally got the machine to boot from the APPLE HARDWARE TEST CD having first disconnected the HDD from the logic board. I ran the extended test and everything passed OK.

I also booted up using the SOFTWARE INSTALL AND RESTORE CD again without the HDD connected and I got to the normal OS software install menu sequence. I obviously could not reload the OS because the HDD was disconnected.

I have reset the HDD IDE connection ie to both the HDD itself and the logic board and the PSU to the HDD.

CONSEQUENTLY I THINK THAT THE HDD IS AT FAULT.

MAC SK - How can I get the HDD to become "unstuck" ?

Got any further opinions/tips please ?

Many thanks.

Mike :)

OP
M
Reaction score
PS I have also booted to safe mode and just get a grey screen and have booted to Open Firmware & when prompted to enter mac-boot and press return nothing happens.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
ticking/clicking sound on a HDD is imminent failure, if not already. If you're unable to boot to the disc holding Option, and the install disc doesn't see the drive, time to shop for another hard drive. There are ways with Target Firewire Disk Mode/Diskwarrior/External Enclosure to retrieve whatever data is still on there.

OP
M
Reaction score
Many Thanks Folks - I've Ordered A New Hdd.

I Appreciate All Your Help.

God Bless.

Mike C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Our pleasure Mike and you guys performed better than the Kiwis lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.