Mini DVI stops Internet connection?

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 13 inch white macbook and need some help. I have an external monitor that I plugged into the first time today. Everything works perfectly, except for the fact that my Wireless internet connection just stops working. As soon as I unplug the cable from the miniDVI port, I can use the wireless again. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
I sort of had the opposite problem. When I unplugged the monitor I would lose my connection. But could get it back by network preferences. I assume you tried to reconnect after losing it.

afx

Reaction score
I have a Mid 2009 Macbook Pro and have the same problem. When I use a mini-display to HDMI adapter from monoprice.com, my internet slows to a crawl. Sometimes it works, albeit very very slowly, but mostly it just stops working. When I unplug the adapter, everything loads immediately.

If I unplug the adapter during an internet speed test, the test jumps from about 0.5 mbp/s to about 10.

I tried the same setup on my late 2008 Macbook Pro, and the adapter works flawlessly. Called Apple and they said they've never heard of this problem. Waiting for a box to send it in for repair.

Reaction score
I am sorry not to be able to give any solution, but I am experiencing exactly the same issue. Everytime I plug the mini DVI / DVI / HDMI cable to the TV, the Internet connection becomes a nightmare in terms of responsiveness and bandwidth... As soon as I unplug it, it works fine again.

I found it pretty strange, that Apple never heard of this problem...

Reaction score
interference is the problem

I had the same problem, but found the solution in another conversation (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ai...n-macbook-when-external-monitor-attached.html).

It seems the problem is interference from the video card when it is set on 1600x1200 resolution (I have a Dell 2007FP which uses that resolution). Changing the wireless channel of the router from the default 6 to 11 solved the problem for me.

-- James

Reaction score
Not alone!

I'm so relieved to find out that I'm not alone here! I went so far as to get a new modem and upgrade my internet package. I finally realized just last night that my connection returned when I unplugged my mini-dvi to HDMI. I have a late-2007 13" white macbook. Now I just need to figure out how to change my router channel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.