• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 09 & iDVD

Reaction score
I imported a movie from my camcorder into iMovie, created titles, transitions & added music from iTunes & everything played great in iMovie 09.
I then created the DVD and all the sound disappeared when played in iDVD emulation mode.
I removed all the titles, music etc and recreated the iDVD with the same error.
What is happening? It's sending me crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Did you read and take any action on your other similar post?

If you are using the Share-->iDVD option, check the result using QuickTime Player. If it has audio problems, then try doing your own custom export using the Share-->"Export Using QuickTime..." option.

When I use the Share-->iDVD option, a project is created in my Documents folder. That can be opened by right clicking on it and choosing "Show Package Contents". Within there you'll find "Contents/Resources/iMovie/movie". Open the movie in QuickTime Player to test it. The point of this test is to identify if the problem is within iDVD, or the export from iMovie.

Is your software all up to date?

Reaction score
iMovie '09 Share to iDVD loses sound

I am experiencing loss of sound problems similar to that reported here. After recently upgrading to OS X 10.5.8, iMovie ’09 and using iDVD 7.0.4, my first iMovie project lost its sound on Sharing to iDVD. The movie was approx 1 hour of edited camcorder footage with titles and chapter markers inserted. One of the chapter markers was at the beginning, so I deleted this and the problem disappeared.

I have created a couple of shorter movies with no problem.

Now, however, I have created another 1 hour movie with chapter markers (but not at the beginning), and the problem has returned. I have tried it with a photo (with a title merged into it) right at the beginning, and with unaltered camcorder footage, but always the sound is missing in iDVD.

I followed the advice of xstep, to find that the file in my Documents folder, when played in Quicktime Player, does not have audio. Presumably then, the problem lies within iMovie, but I do not know what steps to take to resolve the problem.

Can xstep, or indeed anyone else, help me please? My iMovie is version 8.0.5, and I am running this on an iMac 2GHz PowerPC G5. All software is up to date according to Software Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I also suggested; Share-->"Export Using QuickTime..." option. You can also try just exporting just the audio to see the result.

Also, what is the source material? Any AVI involved? Any audio differences such as sampling rates, etc?

Unfortunately this may require some experimenting on your end. A Google search may come up with other suggestions, such as; iMovie export missing audio.

Reaction score
Thanks xstep. I’m going crazy because, after a lot of experimentation, I seem to have had some success but I don’t know how, and therefore I don’t know what my original problem was. Since having one good result, I have done about 18-20 further tests, and still on two occasions it failed.

In case you are interested, I will document my progress:

There is no AVI (I had to look this term up..... I’m very much a novice you know), and I have not altered any iMovie settings away from default. My input is from a Sony miniDV camcorder. I have not altered any sampling rates, or anything else relating to sound.

I wondered whether limited space on my hard disk was a problem, since one series of tests involved just deleting clips to make the project smaller and smaller, and eventually I performed a ‘share to iDVD’ successfully (ie with sound). However, I created about 50Gb of space and it has had no difference, my various tests failed.

Note that I have a series of projects. One of these has consistently produced sound with ‘share to iDVD’ and 2 others have been consistently failing. One of these two is just over 1 hour long (this was the one I am most keen to get working), and another is only 29 seconds long (which has become my main test project).

I used my test file using Quicktime “sound to AAIF” and “sound to MPEG4” and both produced no sound. Interestingly I then ran it again with the movie file and it worked OK, so I ran it again “sharing with iDVD” and it worked ok! (The only settings that I had changed in between times were the Quicktime video and audio settings, but I am convinced that I reset them all to their original values before performing the Quicktime tests. I have definitely not changed any settings other than the Quicktime ones referred to)

Following the success with the short test file, I then “shared to DVD” my 1 hour project and this was successful. I have since “shared to DVD” my other projects and they all seem to work ok, most but not all of the time. So, I conclude, I am able to move forward but I don’t understand what has changed.

Since I have not been forced to go further down the Quicktime path, I do not know how I could have proceeded to the stage to create a DVD. Also, from what I have read, my DVD would have been of lesser quality, but perhaps I am wrong in that respect.

I have been most diligent during my testing, keeping good records and varying things like having other programs running or not, rebooting or not, order of projects tested, etc and I cannot spot a likely cause. Since having had some success, I have definitely not changed any settings.

In my latest series of tests, I:
1. Rebooted, then “shared test file to iDVD”, success
2. Reran, failed
3. Reran 3 times, successfully
4. Rebooted, then “shared test file to iDVD”, failed
5. Reran 3 times, successfully
What do you do? What do you say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you have been trying hard. I'm puzzled.

Open one of the DV files involved in a project that has this problem in QuickTime Player. Do a command-I to review the file specs. Is the audio 16-bit Integer, or something else? I recall in the past that for Final Cut, combining files with different settings could cause issues. Sorry, I don't recall the details. The was that 16-bit was the proper value to always use for miniDV. I'm sure it could be adjusted if need be.

As for QuickTime exports, the quality is dependent on the settings you choose and you have more control over that compared to the Share to iDVD option.

You might want to look at the OS logs while an export is occurring. You can do that by opening Console.app in the Applications/Utilities folder. Perhaps iMovie is spitting out an error of interest. If so, it might be helpful.

Reaction score
Xstep, many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Whatever has been causing my problems seems to have gone away. I have repeated my tests several times and now each test is successful. However, I've been in this situation before and so I suspect the problems may return. If and when they do, I will pursue your latest advice

Reaction score
My problems have returned!! Now with a new 1 hour project, but created from camcorder input as before, I 'shared with iDVD' and got no sound. So I repeated with other shorter projects with mixed success.

On each of my tests I opened the DV files in Quicktime, but they always produced sound, and in the information panel, under 'format' they always showed "DV, 720 x 576 (768 x 576), Millions DV, Stereo, 32.000 kHz ". Nothing really significant showed on Console (see below).

I then rebooted and tried sharing with all of my various projects in turn (4 in number). Intentionally I only had a few programs running (ie Finder & Console) in addition to iMovie since I am suspecting some interference from other software. The first test produced no sound and the next few (6 attempts) did .....including my new 1 hour project; at each test I loaded additional extra programs in an effort to introduce a potential offender!.

Then I rebooted, and ran 2 tests using (on each occasion) the same short project to find that the first one failed and the next one succeeded. Again only Finder and Console were running at this time.

So I'm baffled and do not know what to try next.

PS: The console log was an education because I have never run that before. The only message that related to my activity here was during the first restart of the computer. It read as follows and relates to the 1 hour project that had (at this stage) produced one unsuccessful result:
27/11/2009 14:56:31 quicklookd[140] [QL ERROR] 'Creating thumbnail' timed out for '<QLThumbnailRequest /Users/pete4160/Movies/iMovie Events.localized/William 2 Part 2/clip-2009-08-01 07;47;28.dv>'
27/11/2009 14:56:31 quicklookd[140] [QL ERROR] 'Creating thumbnail' timed out for '<QLThumbnailRequest /Users/petemarritt/Movies/iMovie Events.localized/William 2 Part 2/clip-2009-08-01 07;47;28.dv>'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I know quicklookd is related to the Finder's 'Quick Look' feature. If that video is readable within QuickTime, I'm not sure why the process would be timing out. Still, I don't think that error is your problem. If that clip is included in your problem project, you could try removing it to see the result. It might be easier to duplicate the project and play with the duplicate.

I'm puzzled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.