Apple G5 Quad 2.5 operating system

Reaction score
Does anyone know the original OS installation CD's that came with the Apple G5 Quad 2.5 (late 2005) desktop? I need to find the original installed CD's to get my system running again. I bought the computer used, and it came with OS 10.4 (Tiger)already installed. I upgraded to 10.5 (Leopard) about 3 months ago.

Now, I'm having firmware issues and my computer is not able to recognize my hard drives. I been through all of apple's web site suggestions: resetting Pram & nvram and holding down a variety of keys: (option key during start up), (cmd,option, shift and delete keys) etc. Nothing worked. The only thing I haven't tried is original OS CD's.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Original shipping OS for the Quad-Core Powermac G5 was 10.4.2.

Although I'm not really sure what you are looking for in terms of CD's.

I hope that you are not looking for the original "model specific" grey/silver disks that came with the computer...because that really isn't necessary. Yes they are less expensive, but they are probably hard to find.

Just purchase a retail copy of 10.4 or 10.5 and you will be good to go.:)

By the way...having the original CD's/DVD may or may not help with your problem.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is important if you want to get your hands on Apple Hardware Test which does not seem to be available other than on disc one of the set. For OP information, Apple Hardware Test is version 2.5.2 and the disc version is 1.0 2Z691-5025-A for disc one and 2Z691-5535-A for disc two,

Give Apple a ring and see if you can order the discs. If no drives are recognised boot from the Leopard disc and run Repair Disc and see what is reported.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hello Harryb2448,

I tried the Leopard disc with no success. It doesn't recognize it either.

So, you think I should get my hands on an Apple Hardware disc instead of the original software that came with the unit. I'll see what I come up with.

Thanks for your response

OP
L
Reaction score
Original shipping OS for the Quad-Core Powermac G5 was 10.4.2.

Although I'm not really sure what you are looking for in terms of CD's.

I hope that you are not looking for the original "model specific" grey/silver disks that came with the computer...because that really isn't necessary. Yes they are less expensive, but they are probably hard to find.

Just purchase a retail copy of 10.4 or 10.5 and you will be good to go.:)

By the way...having the original CD's/DVD may or may not help with your problem.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
I tried the 10.4 and 10.5 with no success. I can get the icons of both hard drives and the OS X disc. When I click on the OS X disc the fan increases, act like it will process, and then stops processing. I can't seem to get any further than that.

So, maybe you're right; it may not accept the original software either.

Thanks for you response!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Hardware Test is on disc one of the set that originally was issued with the machine. If you have that pop disc one in, reboot and hold down Option after the chimes and you will see a selection of drives and Apple Hardware Test. AHT is not on the Tiger nor Leopard install DVDs. That is the only way to access AHT.

Have you considered ringing Apple and seeing if you can purchase the set quoted?

OP
L
Reaction score
Apple Hardware Test is on disc one of the set that originally was issued with the machine. If you have that pop disc one in, reboot and hold down Option after the chimes and you will see a selection of drives and Apple Hardware Test. AHT is not on the Tiger nor Leopard install DVDs. That is the only way to access AHT.

Have you considered ringing Apple and seeing if you can purchase the set quoted?
Contacting Apple is my next step.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the go. For some reason Apple makes available only AHT images for download for G4 machines, and not G5 or Intel, unless somebody has a site other than this:-

Apple Hardware Test Images

Reaction score
Hi,

It's some while ago now, but I'm having the same problem. Were you able to find any relevant disc for your Quad?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.