my disc drive wont read certain discs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' iMac ICD
I bought a spool of Maxell DVD-Rs to clear some files off my hard drive, but my computer cant/wont read them. I tried half of them, you put it in, it spins and spins then ejects. I know ive used this brand before, so i dig out a disc that has info already burned on it (same brand of disc, burned from the same computer years ago) and the computer wont read it either. I also bought a 5 pack of maxell CD-Rs and they work fine, also commercial CDs and DVDs play fine. I had to have the hard drive replaced in March, and this may be this first time since then ive tried to burn DVDs, but i dont know how/why that would affect the disc drive. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drive's optical light may be dirty or partially obscured by dust. Buy a cleaning kit at any store which sells computer accessories and try cleaning the drive. If that doesn't work, the drive may have to be replaced. Usually, when a drive can burn CDs and read from pre-recorded media, but not burn DVDs, that's an indication the drive's optical power has weakened.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a spool of Maxell DVD-Rs to clear some files off my hard drive, but my computer cant/wont read them. I tried half of them, you put it in, it spins and spins then ejects. I know ive used this brand before, so i dig out a disc that has info already burned on it (same brand of disc, burned from the same computer years ago) and the computer wont read it either. I also bought a 5 pack of maxell CD-Rs and they work fine, also commercial CDs and DVDs play fine. I had to have the hard drive replaced in March, and this may be this first time since then ive tried to burn DVDs, but i dont know how/why that would affect the disc drive. Any ideas?

Are you sure that your drive is compatible with DVD-R's.

It may be compatible with CD-R's, but maybe not with DVD-R's.

Just a thought,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' iMac ICD
Are you sure that your drive is compatible with DVD-R's.

It may be compatible with CD-R's, but maybe not with DVD-R's.

as i mentioned, i have dvd-r's that i burned from this computer, the same exact brand/model, that now don't read either. i also just tried another dvd-r of a different brand that i burned files too that now wont open. its likely dirt/dust, or at least i hope it is so i dont need a buy a new drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.