Backing up to a network drive when connected

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know of any software that will automatically start an incremental backup of some of my selected folder when it detects that a network drive has been connected?

No I don't have a Time Capsule. :p

Many thanks
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

You don't need a TimeCapsule to get this capability from Time Machine. Have a look at:

How to enable Time Machine on unsupported volumes

You simply need to expose the network drive and point TimeMachine to it. As for the selected folders, you can exclude folders on your Mac from TimeMachine backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Time Machine is indeed software which allows you to sellect any HD in connected either direct or in network to your mac.

However, you can use Automator, to write a simple map-action to allow this function, without using time machine.

If you need more info or help on this, i'm willing to help you on it.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks for you're replies.
I'll give TimeMachine a go then, I thought it wasn't possible so I didn't even try.
jeltakalman - i'll get back to you if I need further help, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.