Download problems with AOL

D

dtomotorworks

Hi all! I have a ibook g4 with panther. I am trying to use aquisition and a few other file sharing programs to download legal uncopyrighted music and files . The problem is right now I am using aol ( I know aol is bad....but its free for now). I cannot connect now that I am using aol, I have also tried earthlink but no matter what filesharing program I use, the program never connects. I am living in co , are there any isp's out there that will allow me to use these programs? I have dial up right now and although I would like to upgrade to something beter I can't afford it right now. I appreciate any help you guys can throw my way. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well very few people actually use AOL on Mac so you won't get much help with that.

Are you behind a firewall or router? That could be blocking the traffic also.

OP
D

dtomotorworks

reply to reply

The thing is it aquisition worked ok for the first day or two i had aol. Then it stopped working. Its not the program since limewire wont work either. Any answers ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If its not the ISP or Online Provider blocking it, it could be as simple as the connection type. Bottom line is, dial-up really isn't all that reliable anymore. It may have been fine 10 years ago, and may still be good enough for some, but if you are trying to do something like file-sharing over dial-up, it just plain isn't the most reliable connection type for that sort of thing. The dial-up may have worked for youbefore, and may work again, but it might just be stalling out trying to connect to the network. I would at least try deleting the apps and trash their prefs, and then reinstall them to see if that helps.

OP
I

iDVFH.

AOL doesn't really give you a firewall (only on Windows PC's with 9.0 SE) Your iBook has firewall features go to preferences>sharing>firewall..maybe something was changed somehow..(if anyone already said this sorry lol) Dial-up is horrible..get AOL for Broadband works much better..and it's about the same cost.. :)

Reaction score
iDVFH. said:
AOL doesn't really give you a firewall (only on Windows PC's with 9.0 SE) Your iBook has firewall features go to preferences>sharing>firewall..maybe something was changed somehow..(if anyone already said this sorry lol) Dial-up is horrible..get AOL for Broadband works much better..and it's about the same cost.. :)
Yup i would check the firewall on the ibook and open for example port (3689)for limewire,etc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.