• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Will an apple store install ram that i buy somewhere else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
I was woundering if an apple store will install ram that i buy from another place and bring to the store? How much would they charge to install it? When i get the computer i am going to get it out of the box there anyway so my dad wants them to install more ram. The family is planning on getting a new computer soon and i told my dad that i could install the ram but my dad is paranoid that if i do it i will break something.

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
prostuff1 said:
I was woundering if an apple store will install ram that i buy from another place and bring to the store? How much would they charge to install it? When i get the computer i am going to get it out of the box there anyway so my dad wants them to install more ram. The family is planning on getting a new computer soon and i told my dad that i could install the ram but my dad is paranoid that if i do it i will break something.

Thanks for any help

Apple will not install 3rd party RAM for you. If you pay through the nose and buy it from them, then yes, they will install it. Really though, it is a no -brainer installing RAM. There really isn't anything you could break. The RAM is a customer upgradeable part, so Apple makes it rather easy to install yourself.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
Thanks for the post!!! :)

That post pretty much convinced my dad to let me install the ram.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Great! What Mac are you planning on getting? Whatever the choice, I am sure you will enjoy it!

I just remembered, the Mini is upgradable, but it is not extremely easy to upgrade the RAM. According to Apple, technically it is not customer upgradeable, however it can still be done. There are several threads on this forum that explain how to do so. It just takes a steady hand. Otherwise, you may damage or put small scratches in the case.

Every other model is Customer Upgradeable. You can find the instructions on how to install RAM here, on Apple's Support Site

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are going to get the 1.6 GHz iMac G5 with combo drive. Mom and dad don't really need the SD and if they ever decide they want one then they can just go and buy an external one.

Should be getting it in two to three weeks. And i am kinda hoping that tiger will be out by then. Will it?? And if it isn't then how much will it be to upgrade?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
yea, I havn't checked for the newer models, but I was doing some research for a friend who just traded his stereo for a 366Ghz iBook. For that, apple had a quicktime video showing how to install the ram, might want to check out the support site to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.