Salvaging a notebook hard drive

Reaction score
The video card from a macbook died on a friend of mine and it was cheaper to buy a new system. She would like to recover all the data on her macbook hd. If i were to purchase a 2.5" sata external enclosure, we should be able to plug it in via usb and browse without any problems right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The video card from a macbook died on a friend of mine and it was cheaper to buy a new system. She would like to recover all the data on her macbook hd. If i were to purchase a 2.5" sata external enclosure, we should be able to plug it in via usb and browse without any problems right?

Most definitely. Most files like photos, music, videos, MS Office documents, etc....should copy over to the new computer fine. But most of the applications (especially those that have serial numbers) will probably need to be reinstalled from their original disks on the new computer.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I just turned my old hd from my mbp into an external for the gf's macbook. Enclosure, firewire and done.

You'll have no prob.

OP
J
Reaction score
ok i installed the mbp drive into the external enclosure. user said that when she plugs it into her mac, nothing happens and drive is not searchable. is there something she needs to do with her settings?

OP
J
Reaction score
i actually remember the enclosure cable having 2 usb plugs attached. i informed the user to plug in both to see if that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.