Extending an existing wireless network using a TimeCapsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
My ISP came round this morning to install the internet into my new flat. They provided me with a "D-Link" wirless box which plugs into the modem to make the wireless network in my flat. The network makes it through to my room ok but not to my flatmates room which is in the back of the flat.

This summer I bought a Time capsule, I like the wireless hard drive and the backing up facility.

What I want to do is use the Timecapsule in my room to pick up the current network and extend the d-link's network. When I try to set the settings to "Extend a current network," and then select my network it comes back with, "Can't extend this network"

What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I need to change or set to through the D Link to allow this to happen?

Cheers guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
With the Time Capsule (or any other Apple Airport) you cannot "extend" the wireless network of anything other than an Apple Airport.

You'll need an Airport Base Station or Airport Express.

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
With the Time Capsule (or any other Apple Airport) you cannot "extend" the wireless network of anything other than an Apple Airport.

You'll need an Airport Base Station or Airport Express.

ah,

I had a sneaky suspicion that that might be the case.

Thanks for your quick reply mate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.