High pitch noise

Reaction score
Hi when i got home from work about 20 mins ago booted up the mac and there is a high pitch noise coming from inside it changes pitch every now and then and then goes away for a few mins :| any idea what it could be and how to fix it ? thanks in advance.

kris

Reaction score
Might be a dirty fan that caught a speck of dust.

You could, if you're able to, open her up and blow some compressed air through it, while holding the fan, in two or three short bursts.

Regards

OP
K
Reaction score
Might be a dirty fan that caught a speck of dust.

You could, if you're able to, open her up and blow some compressed air through it, while holding the fan, in two or three short bursts.

Regards

It's not dust it was all cleaned out when i did all the upgrades less than a week ago, i've been told it's the crt on it's way out :Angry: :Angry: :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
I would say its the screen of the emac! My LCD does sometimes a high pitch noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
It's almost certain to be the CRT display. My eMac too emits a high-pitched tone occasionally, which changes, or fades altogether, according to various display activity. I've simply learned to live with it, the display itself doesn't seem to be affected.

OP
K
Reaction score
It's almost certain to be the CRT display. My eMac too emits a high-pitched tone occasionally, which changes, or fades altogether, according to various display activity. I've simply learned to live with it, the display itself doesn't seem to be affected.

Sounds like we have the same problem as long as im not going to tuen it on one day and the screen is black..Dont think i could go back to windows (YUK)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Sounds like we have the same problem as long as im not going to turn it on one day and the screen is black

You're more likely to see it going gradually. Remember too that you can run an external monitor off your eMac. It might pay to consider that option sooner rather than after the (possible) dreaded event.

I'm fortunate in that I know and deal with a guy near where I live who stores old Macs he gets very cheaply, free even, and strips them for parts. I can get a replacement CRT unit if needed, but so far (fingers and eyes crossed) this display keeps on keeping on. I shudder at the prospect of working inside an eMac to put in a replacement CRT display.

Don't think i could go back to windows (YUK)

Never! Doesn't bear thinking about. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Different resolution?

Reaction score
Well when the display (or the internal components, which ever comes first) goes out, you shouldn't have to go back to Windows- never!! Just find a used Mac and give it love. Or you could buy a new one. Craigslist is better than Ebay because you deal with sellers locally.

Adopt a Mac - Refurbished Apple Macintosh Computers, Upgrades, Accessories, Memory is another great place to find used Mac's, though, I'm now more skeptical about them now since I found a filed out serial number on the bottom of my Power Mac recently. They have a lot of G4, and on occasion G3 and G5 Power Mac's, unwanted eMac's and CRT iMac's. They also have the same PowerBook time after time, and old Apple hardware and software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.