Why can't I watch these videos in Safari?

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro is fully updated.

I use Safari as my primary browser.

I wanted to see some videos on recipes on this website (it's in Danish)
Ekstra materiale - dr.dk/DR2/CamillaPlum

However, when I click on the small video icon on the screen Safari only allows me to copy.

When I go to the page via Firefox I have no problem.

Can anyone tell me why I can't see this video in Safari?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Says something about missing a plugin called x-mplayer2. If you download flip4mac it might resolve the problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First thing, to even open the links you need to allow pop ups in safari. When I did that a window opened and there was sound but no video. Opera 10 and Firefox latest played them using Flip4Mac. What seems to be going on in Safari 4 is, the url's you click on are playlistgen.aspx files. I checked in Coda and in the aspx is a url to a WMV. For some reason Safari is not handling the aspx files properly. I copied the url to the actual wmv that the aspx points to and that will play.

So not sure what is up exactly but Safari is having issues reading the playlistgen.aspx files on that site and not actually opening the file in flip4mac. I guess for now just use Firefox as that works fine. Doing some more testing and will get back if I figure it out.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe upgrade to the latest Flip4Mac beta if you're using Snow Leopard.
It's playing fine in Safari on mine although taking a little while to buffer.

I'm using this one.

Telestream - Download Flip4Mac WMV Beta

It is a beta, so there may be glitches from machine to machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention that I have Flip4Mac and, as far as I could tell, it was using that to play in Firefox (you can see that I am a switcher :p )

I thought about pop-ups, but didn't see a message about them, so assumed that wasn't an issue.

Thanks for the replies.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe upgrade to the latest Flip4Mac beta if you're using Snow Leopard.
It's playing fine in Safari on mine although taking a little while to buffer.

I'm using this one.

Telestream - Download Flip4Mac WMV Beta

It is a beta, so there may be glitches from machine to machine.

Bob, you getting video or just audio? Was on my Power PC G5 so fired up my Intel Mac with SL. Installed the beta and allowed popups. Comes up but after it buffers I get sound with a black screen. FF and Opera are fine and launch Flip4Mac but Safari it's a window with nothing about Flip4Mac at all. Strange one!

I was very interested in the video on making Kefir. I can't understand a word but know enough to know what they are showing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mine is exactly the opposite.

Get full video and audio in Safari. I do have to hit the play button a second time after the vid loads. I do not have the Flip4Mac menu available.

Both Opera and FF, I do have the F4M menu, but Opera only plays a 4 second loop of the clip and FF does nothing. It also takes both of them between 30 seconds and a minute to even load the site, where Safari is loading the site in about 3 seconds.

Looks like Telestream still has plenty of work to do with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.