3 Garageband editing questions

Reaction score
Hi there experts! ;D

Got some Garageband 8 questions for you.

So I have a project in which I'm splicing together various different "regions" of REAL instruments which I imported into GB. Each region was made from a different "take" of the same song, and now I'm trying to put the best parts of each take together.

1) Is there any way to make an Effect (e.g. the "echo" effect) effect ALL regions globally, even if they're on separate "tracks"? I find that even if I "select all" regions, the "echo" effect will only effect one track at a time. So whatever regions are not on that track will not be effected.

Which leads to problem 2:

2) I tried "joining" the regions, but I can't because they are on different tracks. When I try lifting all the regions into one, single track, it screws up all my edits, and the splicing doesn't flow as well. So is there anyway to "join" regions that are on different tracks?

3) At the end of my composition, there is a blank gray area, without audio. It runs on well after the song if over. HOW DO I GET RID OF IT! I cut up my audio regions and made sure that no audio was "hidden", but the blank space is still there, and I can't get rid of it.

Thanks O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Hi there experts! ;D

Got some Garageband 8 questions for you.

So I have a project in which I'm splicing together various different "regions" of REAL instruments which I imported into GB. Each region was made from a different "take" of the same song, and now I'm trying to put the best parts of each take together.

1) Is there any way to make an Effect (e.g. the "echo" effect) effect ALL regions globally, even if they're on separate "tracks"? I find that even if I "select all" regions, the "echo" effect will only effect one track at a time. So whatever regions are not on that track will not be effected.

Which leads to problem 2:

2) I tried "joining" the regions, but I can't because they are on different tracks. When I try lifting all the regions into one, single track, it screws up all my edits, and the splicing doesn't flow as well. So is there anyway to "join" regions that are on different tracks?

3) At the end of my composition, there is a blank gray area, without audio. It runs on well after the song if over. HOW DO I GET RID OF IT! I cut up my audio regions and made sure that no audio was "hidden", but the blank space is still there, and I can't get rid of it.

Thanks O:)

I'm not totally sure about one and two, but three could be solved by moving the small purple triangle in your timeline.

Screenshot2009-10-01at123522AM.png

The triangle indicates where the song ends.

Hopefully this helps with the blank audio at the end of your song.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm not totally sure about one and two, but three could be solved my moving the small purple triangle in your timeline.

Screenshot2009-10-01at123522AM.png

The triangle indicates where the song ends.

Hopefully this helps with the blank audio at the end of your song.

Ah, so THAT's what that tiny purple thing's for! Thanks :D

OK, 1 question down, 2 to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You're welcome!

Okay, so I think I have solved Qs 1 and 2. Play around with this and see if it works.

Go to the menu bar, and click "Track". In the drop down menu, click "Show Master Track"

Screenshot2009-10-01at14819AM.png

At the bottom, your master track will appear. Click where it says "Master Volume" next to the speaker icon. A drop down menu will appear. From there, click "Add Automation..."

Screenshot2009-10-01at14846AM.png

After clicking that, a screen will drop down, and it will have sections for a new automation. Echo, Reverb, and Visual EQ. Select the items from the Echo section you want.

Screenshot2009-10-01at14923AM.png

After checking off the items you want, click OK. If this works, you should be able to go to your effects controls on the bottom right section of the screen. If this is not present, select the Master Track, so it is highlighted purple, then click the small "i" next to the LCD.

Screenshot2009-10-01at15835AM.png

Now, you should be able to edit all the effects for the master track in the Track Info section, mainly in the "Details" section.

Screenshot2009-10-01at15854AM.png

Hope this answered all your questions! Good luck! :Smirk:

OP
S
Reaction score
You're welcome!

Okay, so I think I have solved Qs 1 and 2. Play around with this and see if it works. [...]

Hope this answered all your questions! Good luck! :Smirk:

Wow. That was a huge help. All the pretty pictures made it so easy to follow. And yes, it did work! :Cool:

Why, when you go to Master Volume > Add Automation, does it only list the EQ, Echo, and Reverb? What about other Effects, like Compressor? ... You can still adjust those on the Master Volume, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. That was a huge help. All the pretty pictures made it so easy to follow. And yes, it did work! :Cool:

Good news is that I typically use Visual EQ, but I wonder why the Master Volume can only adjust the EQ, Echo, and Reverb? What about if I wanted to use some other Effect, like Compressor? :\

In the Effects box, try checking the little box next to "Compressor", and use the drop down menu items to the right, see if that'll do it. I'm not on my Mac right now (at school on their computers), so I couldn't try it out for you. Good luck, and you're very welcome, glad to help out! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
What the heck does your menubar look like a candycane for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.