Firefox slow today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello,

Using Firefox (version 3.5.3) on Leopard.
Wireless on a Macbook.

All working well until yesterday.
Now: very slow loading of pages - some don't even make it and time-out.

All the other PCs in the house are still working well. (All PCs, this is the only Mac).
Network has been rebooted and other usual quick fixes tried - network working well in the house, but only this Macbook slow. (It's usually faster!)

When I was a Wind0ws user, I could click on a repair box for the wireless network. Is there a Mac equivalent?

I realise that this is Wind0wsthink: but is it worth trying uninstalling Firefox and putting in a fresh install?

Any advice welcomed.
Thanks, CB

Macbook black - core 2 duo 2.4Ghz - 4GB ram - 500GB@7200rpm - OS X 10.5.8

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The slowdown probably has nothing to do with Firefox but to check... use Safari instead. Are you experiencing the same slowdowns?

Regards.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for reply, chscag. Hadn't thought of that.

Tried it and: yes, same slow loading and hanging. Safari had previously been working fast and efficiently. (although unused for over a month, as Firefox is my browser of choice)

Could this be a hardware issue, (eg) airport card? This Macbook is the only machine in the house with wireless issues.
All software is fully updated.

Cheers, CB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible the airport card is having problems but let's leave that for last.

Have you made any changes to the MacBook in the past several days? Updates? New software?

Slow loading of web pages can sometimes be traced to DNS problems, however, if you haven't made any changes (that you are aware of) to the DNS settings they should be OK. Have you tried powering down your router and then back on again?

Do you know how to PING an address? Try a PING and report the results back here.

To PING: Applications -> Utilities -> Network Utility.app

Click on the Ping tab at the top. Type in a web address that you normally go to. Select - "Send only 3 Pings". Then click on the Ping tab to the right.

Copy the results and post them here.

Regards.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help, chscag. Much appreciated.

No. No new software, no changes or updates that I am aware of.

Pinging a common address (hotmail) 3 times produced this:

Ping has started ...

PING origin.mail.live.com (64.4.20.184): 56 data bytes

--- origin.mail.live.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Didn't know Network Utility existed, looks like a useful tool - once I get to understand it!

Thanks again, CB

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, forgot to add:
Yes, have tried powering router on and off and restarting Macbook - to no avail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Are the browsers also slow when you connect the Mac wired ( via Ethernet ) or are they only slow when browsing wireless ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Try moving in the same room as the router, if it speeds up, just face the MB towards the router when your in a different room. This happened to me, just fixed itself.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for replies.

Using an ethernet cable doesn't help the issue - which, I guess, is good news as it may mean that my hardware (airport card) is not at fault?

I have also tried moving the Macbook to the router (I'm right beside it now) but the slow loading still continues.

In the bottom bar, as the pages are loading, I'm getting text which includes unexpected (to me) names such as: a.tribalfusion.com ?

A quick Google of this (or a slow Google, in my case) associates this name with medium risk virus or adware? If I was still a Wind0ws user, I'd be deep into the works of Norton/AVG etc by now and trying to pull this out.
Could it be that my browser has been hijacked? I'm still relatively new to Mac and imagined I was immune to this?

Thanks again for replies.
Much appreciated.
Cheers, CB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
if it is slow wired or wireless, then the next point to look at would be the router or the ISP connection.

Is there a way to have your Mac as the only device connected to the router ( as a test ) and see if that improves things ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, McBie.

But I should add that everyone else in the house (I'm in shared works accommodation at the moment with wireless internet provided) is still getting good wireless reception and performance on their machines (all PCs). And I had excellent wireless reception/performance until a couple of days ago. My Macbook seems to be the only machine which has developed an issue.

I'm assuming, therefore, that the router and ISP are functioning well and the problem is with my machine - or software - or configuration etc?

Thanks for reply and I will post any further relevant info I come across.

Cheers, CB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I had a problem similar to this. Turned out my old router wasn't fully compatible with my Mac. My router was 5-6 years old or so and was due to be replaced.

One thing is that these things only happened at home. Might check out other wireless networks.

Since I upgraded to a new router I have had no problems.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for info, jtdolphins.

But I have taken the Macbook into work today (a different wireless network) and it behaves the same there - while other peoples' laptops (Mac and PC) were working well.
Also, it has been working excellently on this current wireless network (and router) for months - until this problem started a couple of days ago.

But thanks again for idea.
All help appreciated.
Cheers, CB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for info, jtdolphins.

But I have taken the Macbook into work today (a different wireless network) and it behaves the same there - while other peoples' laptops (Mac and PC) were working well.
Also, it has been working excellently on this current wireless network (and router) for months - until this problem started a couple of days ago.

The PING test you did definitely shows you're not getting through. (100% packet loss.)

Go into System Preferences, Network, and remove any networks that might be showing for the Airport connection tab. And place a check in the box that says "Ask to join new networks".

Now go into the "Security" preference panel, click on Firewall, and make sure that Firefox and Safari are allowed to access the internet.

Reboot the machine. Go back into the Network preference panel and try to set up a connection that you know is working - either at your office or at home.

We'll assume your router, and hardware are OK. I suspect something has either changed your system settings or some gremlins have entered into your computer. We may have to call on an exorcist! :)

One thing we seemed to have forgotten... are the networks you're trying to access encrypted? (WEP, WPA, WPA2) If so, make sure you're using the correct pass phrase or hex password.

Post back.

Regards.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks, chscag. I'm learning a lot and your help is much appreciated.

I followed your steps - but I'm afraid I'm still running slow.

Yes, they are both encrypted networks and require passwords to access them. I have the correct password entered and have access.
I don't know which encryption (from your list) they are on, though. (Can I find this out?)
Although, I haven't changed any settings on the machine and (sorry to repeat myself) it has a history of working well on these networks and is alone in its fault.

Some ping tests have yielded different results (I'll paste them below, in case they are significant), but pages are still loading slow.

However, I bought extended warranty with this Macbook. I think my package includes telephone help from Apple. (This could be the exorcist you mention!?) I'll try to look into it and call them - time permitting - and post back any reply/advice/news.

Meanwhile, I will keep looking.
All help is much valued and I cannot thank you enough for your time.

Cheers CB

Here are the results of some successful and some unsuccessful pings - taken in succession.

ping has started ...

PING mac-forums.com (69.20.37.125): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 69.20.37.125: icmp_seq=0 ttl=115 time=88.999 ms
64 bytes from 69.20.37.125: icmp_seq=1 ttl=115 time=89.729 ms
64 bytes from 69.20.37.125: icmp_seq=2 ttl=115 time=87.676 ms

--- mac-forums.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 87.676/88.801/89.729/0.850 ms

Ping has started ...

PING a1230.b.akamai.net (217.79.96.228): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 217.79.96.228: icmp_seq=0 ttl=60 time=15.815 ms
64 bytes from 217.79.96.228: icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=13.491 ms
64 bytes from 217.79.96.228: icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=14.640 ms

--- a1230.b.akamai.net ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.491/14.649/15.815/0.949 ms

Ping has started ...

PING lb1.www.ms.akadns.net (207.46.193.254): 56 data bytes

--- lb1.www.ms.akadns.net ping statistics ---

Ping has started ...

PING hp-core.ebay.com (66.135.217.240): 56 data bytes

--- hp-core.ebay.com ping statistics ---

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like from your PING results that some Web sites are responding faster than others. eBay for example, is 100% packet loss while the Mac forums are OK albeit slow.

I believe what we have here is a DNS problem. Here's what I'd like you to try as a test: Open System Preferences, Network. Highlight the Airport connection. Now click on the "Advanced" button bottom right of the dialog.

Click on the "Airport" tab and make sure your network name shows up in the "Preferred Networks" box. Also make sure the correct encryption is selected. (it will say WEP, WPA, WPA2) I think that part is OK, but check anyway.

Now click on the "DNS" tab at the top menu. You should see a box with sets of numbers. One of the sets will be grayed out, that's your router. You can ignore it. It's the next one or two sets that we are concerned with.

If there are sets of numbers already listed, copy them down on a piece of paper exactly the way they're listed. Then highlight each set of numbers one at a time and press the small - minus button at the bottom. When both sets of numbers are gone, press the small + plus sign at the bottom and enter this set of numbers: 208.67.222.222 press the + sign again and enter these: 208.67.220.220

Click OK and navigate your way out back to the desktop. Reboot your machine and reboot your router. Let's see what happens.

Regards.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazing!

I think you've cracked it, chscag!

There were no DNS numbers, other than the greyed-out router number.
I entered your numbers, saved, rebooted, rebooted router - and now I seem to be up to speed again.

Fantastic! First time in days I've been able to click from page to page without delay.

Fingers crossed, it's a permanent fix.

I must, again, thank you most sincerely.
I deeply appreciate your time and help.
Hope I can return the favour some time.

Best regards, CB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I was writing that reply, my resident exorcist was chanting prayers and offering sacrifices. Perhaps it was that IBM Windows desktop we burned?
O:)

Glad it seems to be working. Have fun and keep an eye on the beast!

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.