What is the verdict on this G4 system?

Reaction score
I have a chance to pick this system up for next to nothing. I will use it for web, music and movie d/l and some light image post-processing.

This is the mirrored door version.

It will cost me ~$150.

Thoughts?

Specs:

OS X 10.4 Installed with Microsoft Office 2004

HARDWARE:
DUAL CPU 1.25 GHz PowerPC 7455 (G4) processors
1GB ram
120 GB hard drive,
DVD-RW/CDRW SuperDrive
4X AGP ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM

SOFTWARE:
Mac OS X 10.4
Microsoft Office 2004

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Go for it!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Ha! Nice and straight forward.

Not that I dont appreciate that, but what in particular makes you so gung-** about the deal?

I know zero about Macs, so I am not sure what is standard and what is upgraded.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha! Nice and straight forward.

Not that I dont appreciate that, but what in particular makes you so gung-** about the deal?

I know zero about Macs, so I am not sure what is standard and what is upgraded.

Why am I so gung-** about it?...because for $150 you won't get a better deal on a Mac with those specs.

Tell me where this computer is for sale...and I will buy it!;)

The computer is worth more than $150! If you're interested in it...Buy It!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The specs as is are pretty good and also pretty standard as when purchased new. You will be able to upgrade the memory to 2GB , install a 7200RPM hard drive and a faster graphics display card that is quartz and core image capable, such as an ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro will do wonder for it.

Make sure you get the Tiger install DVD and the MS Office disc complete with key codes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Power Mac G4 (Mirror Drive Door)

That exact system came with the 120GB hard drive but only 512MB RAM. Like Harry said you can upgrade to 2GB PC2700 RAM. It accepts 4 512MB PC2700 modules. Everything else it pretty stock from the specs on Low End Mac.

The price for that machine is very fair if it's in good shape.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
That's the system I rock and it's been a workhorse since the day I got it (March 2003). Only thing now is to upgrade the ATI card to keep up with FCP :)

Only downfall: they don't call it windtunnel for nothing. It is not quiet. But for $150, who cares! :p

OP
S
Reaction score
Right on. So I think I'm gunna pick it up.

The seller has also offeer a 17" Cinema display for an additional $70.

Is that a good price for that display? It is around the same age as the system (2002 or 2003?)

Really excited to become a Mac Fan Boy...

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The seller has also offeer a 17" Cinema display for an additional $70.

Is that a good price for that display?

Apple displays usually sell for more than other brand displays...so IMHO $70 is an ok price for a 17" Apple LCD...I would probably like it closer to $50.

One thing to know about older monitors like this...they have a VERY slow response time (compared to "modern" LCD computer displays)...which basically means these monitors are not very good for playing games, watching action scenes in DVD movies...or playing internet videos. Otherwise it's fine.

I actually would not recommend that you purchase this monitor. First of all it is not an Apple Cinema Display...it is an Apple Studio Display. There was no 17" Cinema Display. This display has an ADC connector...which is a very Non-standard conector...and only works with certain Apple video cards.

This monitor gets its power from the computer via the video card (it has no power cord)...so if you want to use this monitor with another computer without an ADC connector on the video card...then you have to purchase a $99 adapter to get this monitor to work.

Apple DVI to ADC Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

As far as the computer...remember my brief statement above to your initial question about buying it:

Go for it!:)

Now maybe you understand why I was so brief & concise!;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
So I would need that adapter if I wanted to use this G4 and my work issued PC laptop (which I want to have share the same display via a KB switch), correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
So I would need that adapter if I wanted to use this G4 and my work issued PC laptop (which I want to have share the same display via a KB switch), correct?

Yes, you would.

That is a classic display and you still see it in generic ads and product placements because it was unique and good looking.

If you wanted it just for the G4 that would be a nice combination but since you want to share it and would have to buy the adaptor to use it with your PC you would be much better off going for one of the current 19" displays that you can find in the $100 range.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes that is correct.

If you only wanted to use this monitor with the G4 Mac you are purchasing (and never wanted to upgrade to a larger monitor)...then you would be fine.

But if you wanted to upgrade the video card in the G4 (assuming the new card didn't have an ADC connector) or use this monitor with another newer computer...then you would need the $99 adapter.

Thus the $70 bucks you would be paying for it + the $99 dollar adapter = $169 bucks. For that price you could get a new 22" monitor.

I hope this helps...just get the computer for $150...and you're good to go!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

Good luck! Write a quick post once you get it up & running to let us know how it is working, and what you think of it.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
So I got it and I am up and running.

One major problem.

I purchased a DVI to VGA adapter and it doesn't seem to work.

Currently I have the DVI port on the tower connected to the DVI on my HP display.

Works fine, but I won't be able to use my KB switch, as it uses VGA.

Any thoughts? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Back Up!

The Cinema display should have an Apple Direct Connect (ADC) fitting which looks similar to DVI but with a couple extra fittings on it. If the G4 has a standard video card the display should plug straight in, and power and USB and carried by the cable and ADC connector. The ATI 9000 carried both DVI and ADV from memory, or at least mine sure did when I had a MDD.

The ADC and DVI sure look similar just check carefully.

OP
S
Reaction score
I ended up not getting the studio display after some suggestions from this forum.

So I have the G4 hooked up to my HP display via DVI. I bought a DVI to VGA adapter so I could use my Belkin KB switch to have a single display and two seperate systems.

Hope that clears it up a bit more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I would check the pins on both sides of the adapter/cables for bent pins. If you're certain the switch works with fine with other monitors, and the adapter works on other systems, then consult the following page to confirm you have the correct adapter:
All About DVI

good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.